Taking Gen Chem II, BIO I, Physics I in spring semester.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenonrice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So i have been coming to you guys for a lot more advice and so i have another question...

So I am a freshmen attending a local public university in new york. This semester I am taking Calc B, Gen Chem I, a freshmen seminar course along with two required classes to graduate.

The workload is extremely straightforward and I am having no trouble with the material at all.

Next semester I am thinking about adding on Bio and Physics with Gen Chem II. I am making my schedule for next semester in 2 weeks so I am thinking about classes already..
So i would be taking 3 science courses along with 2 labs (Gen chem and physics but no bio; i feel that adding bio lab will tire me out). I would also be taking Calc C and another math course ( i am going to minor in math).

Some other information:

I am an undeclared who had a below average performance in high school despite high standardized testing score. Even though it's been 2 months, I have been doing very well in college. I am also aiming to take my MCATs next year in second semester and if need be, again later on before the 2015 change.

So what i would like to ask you guys:
Would you guys recommend taking such a workload?

and sorry for the horrible grammar! English isn't my first language!

Members don't see this ad.

If you know your limits and your major is flexiable, then I can't say no. But physics, chemistry, and biology seems a little too heavy. Also with cal added, it seems like a hell of a all night you're going to have to pull. But you seem smart, and you know your limits.

Hey guys.

So i have been coming to you guys for a lot more advice and so i have another question...

So I am a freshmen attending a local public university in new york. This semester I am taking Calc B, Gen Chem I, a freshmen seminar course along with two required classes to graduate.

The workload is extremely straightforward and I am having no trouble with the material at all.

Next semester I am thinking about adding on Bio and Physics with Gen Chem II. I am making my schedule for next semester in 2 weeks so I am thinking about classes already..
So i would be taking 3 science courses along with 2 labs (Gen chem and physics but no bio; i feel that adding bio lab will tire me out). I would also be taking Calc C and another math course ( i am going to minor in math).

Some other information:

I am an undeclared who had a below average performance in high school despite high standardized testing score. Even though it's been 2 months, I have been doing very well in college. I am also aiming to take my MCATs next year in second semester and if need be, again later on before the 2015 change.

For me, I had difficulty taking Chemistry, Physics and Calculus in one semester my freshman year. What sucked the most was the labs. They took the most time. And out of all the premed-reqs, I felt biology was the toughest because it required a lot of time and memorization. So, it's up to you.

If you can stay on track and have no social-life, I think you can do well. Just as a side note, I was a 4.0+ GPA in highschool and took 10 AP classes and I still had trouble dealing with the train of knowledge I faced my FRESHMAN year of college.

Remember, this is your freshman year and you're still learning. I didn't know how to study for college so I did struggle. Hopefully, you can do better than me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know your limits and your major is flexiable, then I can't say no. But physics, chemistry, and biology seems a little too heavy, but again, only you know you limits.

:thumbup: It seems like a lot of work, so I'd recommend putting off physics until the summer or next fall if you feel like your grades aren't that stellar this semester. If you feel capable of taking on these classes at the same time, go for it.

People here have done it, so it's possible. Only you know your limits, labs take a lot of your time, so consider that

If you know your limits and your major is flexiable, then I can't say no. But physics, chemistry, and biology seems a little too heavy. Also with cal added, it seems like a hell of a all night you're going to have to pull. But you seem smart, and you know your limits.

It's not that hard provided that OP is good with math. That way, three subjects are tackled at once, anf only biology is dealt with. Calculus isn't that hard the way most premeds say it is.

People here have done it......... labs take a lot of your time, so consider that

That's the only problem, 3 labs one semster seems crazy. But who knows, three pounds of grey-matter have proved what we though were the brain's limits,weren't its limits.

I took calc, gen chem and bio (physiology) in one semester and it was pretty rough, but mainly because I'm not a math person

Yeah , I see what you mean, at least this type of heavy course load will prepare him for greater things. But, i still say it's up to what he think his limit is, but the brain has cease to amaze me.

I would recommend taking bio and chem (with their labs) and leaving physics for the summer. It's better to space these heavy science classes out than to take them all at once. Trust me, I took a semester of organic chem, pathophysiology, biochemistry, and calculus and while I scored A's in each it wasn't too much fun.

I took bio, chem and physics separately since they were all two part courses per each semester so I had one year of chem, one year of bio and one year of physics. Personally I wouldn't have survived taking all together but I'm not as bright as others when it comes to soaking in info like that. It's really your call if you think you can handle it.

I'm taking chem 1, bio, physics 1.

Chem lab (an insane waste of time, 6hrs of wasted time every week), physics lab, and bio lab.

Chem recitation, and physics recitation.

Plus English twice a week. I commute for 2.5 hrs on top of that, and I'm trying to tackle my EC's. It's difficult but doable.

edit: I should mention I took ap chem before, and bio for me is a joke since I have a lot of experience with the curriculum. Still....it's a challenging workload. I wouldn't have taken it though if I didn't think all A's we're possible this semester.

I did this last semester. It's possible -- the only really annoying hassle are the labs.

I'm in almost the same boat as you. I'm planning to take chem II, calc II, bio I, freshman seminar, and first year English next semester. And take physics 1 and 2 next year with organic chem, and another bio and chem class. Gotta do watcha gotta do.

What's the equivalent of Calc C?

That's the only problem, 3 labs one semster seems crazy. But who knows, three pounds of grey-matter have proved what we though were the brain's limits,weren't its limits.

I've done three labs in a semester with their respective courses and it's a huge time sink, especially if you have to write lab reports. Avoid it unless you enjoy having no free time.

Hey guys.

Some other information:

1. is calc C = calc 3?
2. chem/physics/calc 3 will be very hard, but getting 3 A would be pretty baller. i wouldn't do this

definitely possible, just also be aware that a lot of your time will be dedicated to classwork instead of extracurriculars, volunteering, and the sort

I've done three labs in a semester with their respective courses and it's a huge time sink, especially if you have to write lab reports. Avoid it unless you enjoy having no free time.

As I said above,

I have three science lectures (they meet twice weekly), three labs (full deal with long prelab reports, and post lab reports), AND two recitation classes. Plus English.

I definitely concur about the time sink comment, it's tough to do in terms of timing. It definitely helps if the commute is short or if you dorm there.

A jump from one to three lab science classes seems unwise to me. If you had two labs and it felt easy, going to three might be worth consideration.... with caution though. Are labs easy or unchallenging at your school?

Typically, labs count for 25% of the overall grade when they can easily equal or exceed the amount of time for the lecture portion of the course.

Nailing two A's and feeling unchallenged >>>>> getting 2 A-'s and a B+ and feeling stressed out.

Last edited: