Taking grad courses in year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is a good idea to take grad level courses in the year or two I am planning on taking off after graduation? I was thinking of taking a few science courses. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Only if your intention is to go to graduate school...It has been my experience that 80% of "graduate" courses are undergrad courses with a graduate project attached to them. The graduate project is generally a lengthy paper, presentation or some other BS that isnt really worth your time unless your career is research associated.

As for the other 20% of graduate level courses, many are research based, and unless you have a research background, wont do you any good and would probably be more difficult than its worth.

If your going to take any science classes, take upper division undergrad courses. Atleast they will be useful towards your sGPA (not saying yours needs to be improved or anything) for AMCAS..but graduate level courses wont do anything for you unless your working towards a graduate degree, though they are added into your undergrad GPA for AACOMAS...but still not worth the extra work.

if you are willing to keep your study skills up at the price of almost no sleep and the $$$ tuition $$$, then I would say go for it.

Otherwise, I would keep my money in a safe spot and just take a few classes to keep my study skills to at least sub-par level until entering med school.