Taking graduate classes P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NP112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

With everything going on in the world with Covid-19, my graduate program has allowed graduate students to take their classes pass / fail this semester. In terms of state licensure down the road, would there be any problems with having a P/F on my transcript as opposed to a letter grade. I am thinking in particular about specific classes that a state may require (ethics, diversity, assessment etc.)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My knee-jerk reaction: probably wouldn't be a problem. Longer, delayed reaction: check with specific state board(s) and/or review state-specific legislation just to be sure, and save the board's response (if it's in writing) indefinitely.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

With everything going on in the world with Covid-19, my graduate program has allowed graduate students to take their classes pass / fail this semester. In terms of state licensure down the road, would there be any problems with having a P/F on my transcript as opposed to a letter grade. I am thinking in particular about specific classes that a state may require (ethics, diversity, assessment etc.)

Thank you!

I am in the same situation and just want to validate that this is a bit of an anxiety producing decision. Given the unprecedented nature of everything right now, I certainly hope that taking a P/F instead of a letter grade would not impact licensure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have never heard of it impacting anyone in the 3 states I have been in. When I was a student I was told the only thing that ever came from choosing to take classes P/F would be being ineligible for some academic scholarships, etc... if GPA was ever a question. Ask the state boards in places you would likely practice to be sure.

Since I started grad school all the way to being an ECP nobody has ever cared about my grades. Just don't get an F in a P/F class.

My knee-jerk reaction: probably wouldn't be a problem. Longer, delayed reaction: check with specific state board(s) and/or review state-specific legislation just to be sure, and save the board's response (if it's in writing) indefinitely.
Checking with state boards and getting stuff from them in writing is painful but absolutely critical!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Thank you!
there is no benefit.

if you passed, you passed. no one cares about your GPA so making an A or B is equal to long term success. If you think that is what makes someone competitive for a job, its not. It comes down to this: GPA is impacted by restricted range issues galore and an A doesnt ensure competence any more than a B precludes it. Then there are the added risks associated with license boards. maybe that's not a real risk, but its certainly more of a risk than getting a B. So, if there is something you are trying to gain by a P/F system, I'm not seeing how this will do it

Last edited: