Taking Math more math classes vs taking regular classes and Get a higher GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayubu Aloyce

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am just wondering here. I am currently in my senior year premed biology major. I have taken math classes from calc 1-3 since I did my associate's degree in chemistry.
next semster which is my last semster, I have the option of taking easy classes or I can decide to take linear algebra and Differential equations. Do you guys think it's better to take easy classes to get a higher gpa of take those math classes and work harder for an A? I'm good at Math but it will require more work and more homework to get an A in those classes than in a class like history or Art. I have all A in my previous Calc 1,2,3 classes.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know that you will get into medical school? Maybe avoid graph theory and linear algebra type classes.

If you’re uncertain? Take whichever courses will help you best prepare for an alternative career. I would recommend computer science or engineering. So you may have to take those courses.

Hello everyone, I am just wondering here. I am currently in my senior year premed biology major. I have taken math classes from calc 1-3 since I did my associate's degree in chemistry.
next semster which is my last semster, I have the option of taking easy classes or I can decide to take linear algebra and Differential equations. Do you guys think it's better to take easy classes to get a higher gpa of take those math classes and work harder for an A? I'm good at Math but it will require more work and more homework to get an A in those classes than in a class like history or Art. I have all A in my previous Calc 1,2,3 classes.
Do you have to take math? If not, take what you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Be strategic. Your BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math) GPA, or sGPA is X.XX. If that sGPA is less than 3.67 and you think that you c can earn at least an A- in a BCPM course, take that course and improve your sGPA. If your sGPA is >3.67 and you don't believe you could earn nothing lower than an A, that course will pull your sGPA down a little bit.

sGPA and total GPA are the most important thing in the scheme of things as you are making decisions on coursework. If you think that a plan B would involve math, such as being a statistical analyst, biostatistician or actuary, then you'd want to be taking linear algebra in preparation for graduate coursework. Otherwise, it isn't likely to be essential or useful and you can pick something else.

Reactions: 1 user