Taking MCAT 4th time, need advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyang22286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATED: see post 27

I just received score from the 1/30/2010 MCAT, should have voided but I did not - bad decision

date: PS/VR/BS
8/20/2007: 10/8/11 - 29S
4/05/2008: 10/8/13 - 31S
1/30/2010: 9/8/12 - 29R

No excuse, but I was scoring a very stable 12-13 on PS and BS before taking the 1/30 MCAT but completely bombed it (it was a brutal test, as witnessed in the mcat thread). I was blown away by the 1/30 test, but am fairly confident I can raise my score by at least about 5 points if I retake it. Problem is, I haven't found anyone yet that's taken the test more than three freaking times. What should I do??

Some background:

CA resident
-completed undergrad in 2008, MS in 2009
-reapplicant for 2010 cycle
-3.51 uGPA (3.85 2nd-4th year GPA)
-3.91 graduate GPA
-years of research, 1 publication, 1 more coming
-hospice volunteer
-5 quarters of TA-ing
-bunch of other stuff..

I'm normally not too fond of this question getting asked, but I feel like this time it's valid... am I screwed? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would only retake it if you're absolutely sure you can score above a 33 or something this time around. Otherwise I would just start looking for schools with lower MCAT averages. You could also just do DO? Not like it matters in the long run anyway.

i dont kno you seem to be scoring pretty consistently. what happened? were the first two attempts really trial runs where you weren't really well prepared but decided to go ahead anyway and your 3rd attempt was just bad luck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why in hell did you do the second retake after getting the 31? Not sure from the post, but did you apply with that score and not get in somewhere? If that is the case, where did you apply? That may have been the real problem - where you applied.

The chances you can raise this score "5 points" on a 3rd retake are nil. But you have dug the hole so deep now that you almost have to take another shot at it.

Thanks for the opinions, I think I just needed to verify that I'm not crazy for taking it the fourth time.

To answer a few questions above...

I applied very broadly with the 31 and did not get in - 2 interviews, 0 acceptances.

With the 1/30 MCAT, I was so confident in my preparations.. but in addition to it just being a pretty bad test, I had some technical errors on my PS section. It continued to mess with my head throughout the test. I really should have voided, but I just couldn't... that's the last time I'll ever go with a damn gut feeling.

Oh, don't get us wrong. You are crazy for taking it again. The psychological suffering and stress related to that test are legendary. But we understand, since we're all crazy, too. We know your pain, but we also understand what compels you.

Thanks, that actually does make me feel better, in a weird sort of way lol

Thanks for the opinions, I think I just needed to verify that I'm not crazy for taking it the fourth time.

To answer a few questions above...

I applied very broadly with the 31 and did not get in - 2 interviews, 0 acceptances.

With the 1/30 MCAT, I was so confident in my preparations.. but in addition to it just being a pretty bad test, I had some technical errors on my PS section. It continued to mess with my head throughout the test. I really should have voided, but I just couldn't... that's the last time I'll ever go with a damn gut feeling.

Humor us: where, exactly, did you apply?

Californians often need to apply to 30+ schools. Did you?

And if in addition to your state schools you applied to any school elsewhere in the Top 30, you wasted your money. That would not qualify as "broadly" for you.

Humor us: where, exactly, did you apply?

Californians often need to apply to 30+ schools. Did you?

And if in addition to your state schools you applied to any school elsewhere in the Top 30, you wasted your money. That would not qualify as "broadly" for you.

Haha..................... almost literally everywhere. I think it might be on my MDapps for the cycle I applied, but yeah... too many to list.

To elaborate a bit, I initially applied to about 22 schools, all of which were in the "low-mid" tiers (GWU, Downstate, Drexel, NYMC, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, etc). A family member that was helping me with my apps then added like 20 higher tier schools to my list, which brought that number to a whopping 40 schools.

Haha..................... almost literally everywhere. I think it might be on my MDapps for the cycle I applied, but yeah... too many to list.

To elaborate a bit, I initially applied to about 22 schools, all of which were in the "low-mid" tiers (GWU, Downstate, Drexel, NYMC, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, etc). A family member that was helping me with my apps then added like 20 higher tier schools to my list, which brought that number to a whopping 40 schools.

Sounds like you did NOT apply broadly after all. Those "20 higher tier" schools did you absolutely zero good.

If you failed to apply to every one of the following, you missed an opportunity:

EVMS
VCU
SLU
Creighton
Tulane
Penn State
Cincy
Ohio State

Your problem in the cycle was your school list, not simply your MCAT.

And I will go ahead and ask the obvious: why not DO?

Edit: I just looked at your MDApps. Wow, what a bad list of schools for your app.

Sounds like you did NOT apply broadly after all. Those "20 higher tier" schools did you absolutely zero good.

If you failed to apply to every one of the following, you missed an opportunity:

EVMS
VCU
SLU
Creighton
Tulane
Penn State
Cincy
Ohio State

Your problem in the cycle was your school list, not simply your MCAT.

And I will go ahead and ask the obvious: why not DO?

Edit: I just looked at your MDApps. Wow, what a bad list of schools for your app.

There were a few schools I didn't list on there, but of those that you listed, I applied to every single one, except VCU I believe.

I applied to nearly every school that you're "supposed" to as a CA resident.

The mistake in my school list that cycle was not applying to DO, which I most certainly will do this time around. But yes, I applied VERY broadly and covered almost all the schools that I had a slim to decent shot at.

Members don't see this ad :)

Screw you! 40 schools!!!! Thats the largest number of schools I have ever heard.:eek:

... its might not just be your MCAT
my suggestion is to work on your application more

I would take the MCAT if your sure you can do way better ...

Since when in the world a 31 in MCAT is not considered decent?

I wouldn't take it again.

2x29 and 1x31 - means you are about a 30 avg... not sure you are going to see a massive improvement.

One time I can understand a bad day or lack of prep, a 2nd time less likely to buy it, 3rd time not happening....a 4th time? I just don't know how you'd sell yourself if you got a 29 or 30 which appears really likely at this point.

I wouldn't take it again.

2x29 and 1x31 - means you are about a 30 avg... not sure you are going to see a massive improvement.

One time I can understand a bad day or lack of prep, a 2nd time less likely to buy it, 3rd time not happening....a 4th time? I just don't know how you'd sell yourself if you got a 29 or 30 which appears really likely at this point.

if they get a 30 on the next one.....average does not change....same score basically...no harm done...

the only way it really hurts is if you make a 24 or something.

I recommend another shot if you think you can increase for MD.

Just remember DO.......

yup... i retook because i'm from CA

if i were someone else reading this thread, i would for sure also think "you won't score any better", but it's been a while since i took the test this third time. there were so many other factors that went into this test (ie, technical errors during PS) and i should have voided. but, my score was too stable in the range i wanted that i feel it's such a waste not to take another shot. the biggest factor was that it was going to be a fourth time, but after reading everyone's response, i guess it can't hurt me, so might as well.

thanks guys

Hey,

I took my MCAT a fourth time. I went from a 29 to a 33 because I was absolutely confident that I could improve off of the 29, but before the 29 I got a 25 and a 28. My uGPA is also not as good, which was another reason I went for my fourth MCAT. Its possible to improve, definitely. I'm living proof. But is it really worth it? Picking up the books for the fourth time was BRUTAL... and I really mean it. It was probably the most painful thing I had to do in my life! But in the end it was worth it. REALLY worth it. Because now I truly never have to take that damn test again (at least not for another three years that is HAHA).

Hey,

I took my MCAT a fourth time. I went from a 29 to a 33 because I was absolutely confident that I could improve off of the 29, but before the 29 I got a 25 and a 28. My uGPA is also not as good, which was another reason I went for my fourth MCAT. Its possible to improve, definitely. I'm living proof. But is it really worth it? Picking up the books for the fourth time was BRUTAL... and I really mean it. It was probably the most painful thing I had to do in my life! But in the end it was worth it. REALLY worth it. Because now I truly never have to take that damn test again (at least not for another three years that is HAHA).

case example.....:thumbup:

Hey guys, just thought I'd update this thread.

I took the 6/17/2010 MCAT... I can't say I'm thrilled, especially after what I was getting on the Berkeley Review tests, but I'm relieved.

32S: 12PS 8V 12BS S:WS

Ugh... verbal, the bane of my existence lol. I actually felt alright coming out of that test's verbal too!!

But anyways, I'm going to go ahead and submit my application, and we'll see in about a year what happens.

And just for kicks... I'd say it was worth it picking up those books one last (hopefully) time. I think the sub-30 score was also seriously a huge mental barrier too. Thanks everyone!! Good luck

Hi EYANG,

Would like your advise about my case.

Came to Cali with an overseas 1 year of Bio studies. French system that got a GPA of 2.6 ironically. Not a good evaluation.
Then, got my GPA for the rest 3 years to be 3.7 at a Uni in Cali.
Took my first MCAT foolishly in 2006 (Good Old Paper Based) and scored 23Q
Then another MCAT in 2008 (Computer Based) scoring 25 S
Thirds attempt in 2009 scoring 29 R

I have 2 publications and 2 on the way.
Did medical research and lots of shadowing.
Applied this last round for 30 schools and did get nothing.

Any advise? By the way, I am 28 years old. Not too young.