Taking MCAT during Orgo 2/Physics 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Telekinesis

Gig 'Em
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay or nay

Members don't see this ad.

How far into the semester would you take it?

It'll suck, but it's doable (I took mine the day before my OChem 2 final and before I took Physics 2). Really study the stuff you're not going to have covered in class yet, ESP physics - there's a lot of it and it can be kinda hard/weird.

Nay. There are many ways to skin the application cat. But lumping the MCAT with other critical and time-consuming endeavors is not one of them.

You will regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school suggested that people take the MCAT partway through junior year when they were still taking pre-recs. It seemed to work out well for them, especially those who studied through a course. I personally studied for the physics part on my own (didn't want to take another extra year before applying), and I ended up doing really well on that section... Just make sure you're motivated enough to learn what you need to learn without someone forcing it on you.

im in the same situation. i will be taking ochem 2 and physics 2 my second semester of my junior year but i decided to take the MCAT after finals...so med to late May.

Well I see was wanting to take it in April or June. But I still wanna apply early before the rush. Would it be smart for me to take the MCAT in June, apply as soon as AMCAS is open and then submit my MCAT scores as soon as I get them? Or should I take it in April during Orgo 2/Physics 2?

Are your practice test scores good? If so, then you'll be fine. If not, not.
On the other hand, like Nick says, there's no reason not to wait a month. The last thing you want to do is bomb a midterm/final and ding your GPA just so you can be complete in June instead of July.

I'm in that exact situation now, and let me tell you, I have not gotten ANY MCAT studying done. Maybe it's just because I suck at physics, but Physics II and Organic II is a kind of overwhelming combination. I ended up pushing my test date back to June 16 once I realized that something was gonna give--either my GPA or my MCAT score. I don't think there's any compelling reason to take it in April as opposed to late May or early June, especially since (I've heard) a lot of schools will send you secondaries even without an MCAT score. Your secondary apps and MCAT scores will arrive at about the same time then, and you'll be complete pretty much when those who took an earlier MCAT are (except at the few screening schools). But someone correct me if I'm wrong.