Taking MCAT in July.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmj254

Illuminati Expert
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the MCAT in July because I won't have taken Inorganic 2 and Physics 1 and 2 until the summer semesters. If I take the MCAT in July, will I be able to take the test a second time if my scores aren't great on the first one? Would that be advisable?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going to take Physics 1/2 and Inorganic Chem 2 together over the summer? That's brave - I took both Physics classes last summer and it sucked. Mightily.

You can definitely retake in August if you need to - in fact, it might be wiser to forgo the July test date and only take it in August if it means you don't have to take the MCAT and classes at the same time. Trying to take the MCAT while you're taking compressed summer classes is just crazy, IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on taking the MCAT in July because I won't have taken Inorganic 2 and Physics 1 and 2 until the summer semesters. If I take the MCAT in July, will I be able to take the test a second time if my scores aren't great on the first one? Would that be advisable?

I would wait until your classes are over. Taking that load over a summer is no easy feat. You'll really need Physics 1&2 completed before you test. Besides, there's nothing wrong with an August test anyhow.

I thought I tried a compressed timeframe...........Are you applying for class of 2014 for entry in fall of 2010? If so, thereis certainly no problem with waiting a month or two to take the MCAT.

I tried a similar strategy (took physics I and II over a summer) and tried to take MCAT without OChem II and without any BIO (I know....). I am embarassed to say (but I will so hopefully it will help someone else) that I got an 18..........Needless to say, I did not get in with those scores.

I retook the MCAT after having some Bio and OChem and it worked out fine.

Even if you do get the classes, you will need time to review everything AND take several practice old MCAT exams to prepare, IMHO. I would take your classes, spend a month reviewing and traking practice exams, then register for another (I think you have to wait 30 days). This will give you all the experience and also set you up to retake in Sept if necessary, which you can always cancel if you do not need.

Whatever you decide, do not discount the actual circumstances for the test. Although nothing can stimulate that feeling, taking practice tests under simulated testing conditions will be as close as you can get........................unless of course you are my nephew that comes home from a month abroad, takes MCAT without any prep and greases a 38 (wtf??)

Good luck.

I plan on applying for the class of 2014 that is set to enter in the fall of 2010. I am taking my Bio classes now, and will be done with them by the summer. If I have to re-apply next year, I don't mind, but I would really like to try it this year and just see how I fare. Did any of your take those summer classes while working? Or is that just too much? Ha

Thanks for advice all,
Judd

I plan on applying for the class of 2014 that is set to enter in the fall of 2010. I am taking my Bio classes now, and will be done with them by the summer. If I have to re-apply next year, I don't mind, but I would really like to try it this year and just see how I fare. Did any of your take those summer classes while working? Or is that just too much? Ha

Thanks for advice all,
Judd

You'd be better off burning your money than trying to do all of that. It's setting yourself up for failure basically.

Thanks for advice all,
Judd

Summer classes + working = doable.

MCAT + Working = doable.

MCAT + Summer classes = bad idea.

MCAT + Summer classes + Working = horrible idea.

Studying for the MCAT is like taking multiple classes by itself.

Summer classes + working = doable.

MCAT + Working = doable.

MCAT + Summer classes = bad idea.

MCAT + Summer classes + Working = horrible idea.

Studying for the MCAT is like taking multiple classes by itself.

So, would:

Working + Summer classes= Good Idea?

With MCAT in August?

or,

would:

Summer classes + MCAT in August- Working= Decent (if not great) Idea? :eek: :oops:

The MCAT in August is getting late. I think the reason I heard so fast this year was because I had submitted my AACOMAS in June and verified by the first week of July.

So, would:

With MCAT in August?

or,

would:

Summer classes + MCAT in August- Working= Decent (if not great) Idea? :eek: :oops:

Let me elaboate just a bit: last summer I took Physics 1+2, took the MCAT, got married in August, and finished my apps during August as well.

It was crazy - but a schedule like that is doable (in a pinch) if you plan your time carefully and stay committed to the cause.

Optimally, however, I would try to arrange things so I could study for and take the MCAT without any other distractions. This is because the MCAT is the one area of your app that can be drastically improved within a short period of time, whereas deficiencies such as low GPAs or little volunteering could take years to successfully improve. Provided your performance in the summer classes is decent, I would certainly put more effort into MCAT study than anything else.

If financially possible, I'd also try to avoid having to work during this period. Don't forget that you're going to have to be able to get apps out in the midst of everything else you have to do this summer...and working is simply going to make time management an even bigger problem.

Last edited:
So, would:

With MCAT in August?

or,

would:

Look, only you know what kind of work loads you can handle. Taking chem and physics at the same time over the summer is not the easiest thing in the world to do. While taking those classes will help you with the material for the MCAT, a big part of the MCAT is developing your test taking skills and learning how to take it. I started studying at the beginning of last summer and took the MCAT at the end of August. I couldn't see spending less time studying for it, and although I was working, I didn't take any other classes during that time.

Again like I said, only you know what you're capable of. Just don't put too much on your plate, and then end up tanking both your classes and your MCAT.

Thank you all for your input, I just wanted to make sure what was reasonable as far as time frames. I am going to do my best to be able to quit work during the summertime, but am not sure if that is feasible. I'm not married and don't have kids, but I do have financial obligations. I guess I can get loans to cover those throughout the summer and do PRN work whenever I can.

A's in your summer classes + Meeting your financial obligations + 30ish MCAT in August = :thumbup:

B's/C's in your summer classes +Meeting your financial obligations + low-20's MCAT in July = :thumbdown:

Thank you for your help. This forum is awesome!

i took mine in july. You wont be able to retest and its not something you wanna do again.