Taking MCAT Summer 2011 (How to study during academic year???)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb1003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to take my MCATs the summer going into junior year. I'll have taken all the courses needed for the MCAT. Because I want to do well, I wanted to study every weekend or get in the habit of studying certain topics during the academic year to get ready for the MCAT.

Have any of you done anything on weekends during college like reviewing over your old chemistry classes or biology? Do you recommend reading short stories and articles everyday? Are there any other ways to prepare for the MCAT during the academic year and helping to get ahead? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't learn anything in general chemistry I, i am think about going back to the textbook from the class and reviewing the concepts that i didn't do so well in.

I don't know much about studying during the school year, but I would definitely recommend ExamKracker's, if you're willing to buy some prep books. Unlike textbooks from gen chem or bio, they will only focus on what the MCAT will most likely test on. Plus, the VR is awesome :) Reading articles would probably help, too.

When are you planning on taking the MCAT, btw? If it's July or later, you could definitely study for 2+ months in the summer before your test. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
my weakness was verbal, so throughout the school year i did like a passage a night before bed! it adds up and make a big difference!

Have any of you done anything on weekends during college like reviewing over your old chemistry classes or biology? Do you recommend reading short stories and articles everyday? Are there any other ways to prepare for the MCAT during the academic year and helping to get ahead? Thanks

First: There is plenty of guidance in the MCAT section of the forums which this may get moved to.

I would not advise looking at old material unless you just feel really uncomfortable with a specific subject. What you need to do, is get some review books, ExamKrackers or The Berkeley Review.

I got a 34 on my MCAT and my schedule was studying about 2 hours a day for 3.5 months or so. I did content for 1.5 months, practice problems for 1.5 months, and then 2 weeks of Practice Exams from AAMC (3,7-10). This was while interning full time andtaking no classes. Despite what you may think, studying after working 8 hours is just as hard as studying while in school.

I would advise taking a lighter schedule if you can (3 hours less than your normal load).

Lastly, if you have trouble motivating yourself to study, just set a time to do it everyday, preferably the same time everyday, and just start. Eventually you will get into a habit.

Edit: If you are taking it at the end of summer, then just do this over the summer. Verbal passages during the academic year would be the best as mentioned above. You can never get too much practice reading.

I'm looking to take my MCATs the summer going into junior year. I'll have taken all the courses needed for the MCAT. Because I want to do well, I wanted to study every weekend or get in the habit of studying certain topics during the academic year to get ready for the MCAT.

You can look at the topics on the AAMC's website and maybe read more in-depth from your textbooks for the areas that you are weak in.

Create a relatively detailed study schedule that includes chapters you want to cover, and problem sets you want to complete each week. Once you start to follow your schedule, you will get a better idea of how realistic/practical your schedule is and adjust as necessary. Don't take the test unless you're ready.

If you're going to take the test during the summer, why not just take it near the end of summer and have around 2-3 months of solid studying time during summer when you have a lot of down time?

verbal is the hardest thing to improve on (as you will hear often).

The only way earlier studying will work is if you are relating and deeply learning concepts (which few to no prep companies do).

Nearer to test time you need less actual material and testing mode or skills.