Taking MCAT without Physics 2....worried...advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I will be taking the MCAT late this summer, most likely in August....However, I will not have taken physics 2 because I am taking that in the fall...but I will be taking the Kaplan review course and will I be able to learn that material on my own over the summer? I will be taking organic chemistry 2 in summer and then no work, just MCAT prep....

Please offer your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be fine learning the material on your own. Physics 2 should include everything after Newtonian mechanics and fluids stuff.

I took that stuff like 4+ years ago and remember hardly knowing anything on the final and am learning it now and it's easier for me than thermodynamics, fluids, newtonian stuff.

If you're really worried about it, I'd say start studying for it early on in your MCAT study and ask questions to your kaplan instructor during office hours.

I would wait and take it in the spring, especially since you are cramming ochem in the summer too. What's the rush?

Have you had any physics before, like in high school? I took the MCAT in January (12 in PS) but am currently taking physics 2 (E&M for me), but learning the stuff on my own wasn't too bad since I remembered most of it from high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a fellow student taking the MCAT without any physics at all. I don't understand these people.

Hey I will be taking the MCAT late this summer, most likely in August....However, I will not have taken physics 2 because I am taking that in the fall...but I will be taking the Kaplan review course and will I be able to learn that material on my own over the summer? I will be taking organic chemistry 2 in summer and then no work, just MCAT prep....

Please offer your input.

As another poster pointed out, it would be a huge help if you have taken high school physics. The level of physics on the MCAT is closer to high school than it is to calculus-based college physics, so if you have good common sense, think like an engineer, and have taken high school physics, then you should be able to pick it up and do just fine. However, if any of those three things aren't true, then you might want to consider waiting to take the MCAT.