Taking Microbio at Community College (co-enrollment)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

Hi,

I need some more upper-level Biology electives in the spring semester in order to graduate on time.

I was able to get seats in Stats and Chemistry at my 4-year university but all of the upper-level Bio classes I both have the prerequisites for and haven't already taken are full. My local CC has a Microbiology class that my 4-year will give me upper-level Bio elective credit for. I am taking some non-science general education courses at CC too to save money and commuting time.

Do you think it would be okay to add on the Microbiology to my CC courseload?

So, my spring schedule would be:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday courses taken at a 4-year university: Statistics and Gen Chem II

Tuesday/Thursday classes taken at a CC: Microbiology and History

If it matters, I am applying in summer of '21 and am trying to patch up my science GPA after it took a sudden dive in Dec. 2018 as a result of an accident caused by an epileptic seizure during finals week.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is fine*.

The problems begin with taking community college courses when it becomes apparent that one is running away from the more-difficult university-tier courses. I don't really gather that this is what your situation looks like.

*My biggest concern is with your GPA. Given that it's taken a nosedive in the past, many would like to see you thrive in courses that are perceived to be either more difficult or adjunctive to your lower-level courses, which, in other words, means upper-level classes. Because you're taking it at the community college, at least in my opinion, it doesn't give an accurate assessment of your ability relative to the rest of our transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just a future applicant here, but one science class doesn't seem like a big deal, especially since it's not even a prereq.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro - May I summon you for some ADCOM advice? :) You are always so nice about giving reinvention advice and that is what I am trying to do these next three semesters!

Hi,

I need some more upper-level Biology electives in the spring semester in order to graduate on time.

I was able to get seats in Stats and Chemistry at my 4-year university but all of the upper-level Bio classes I both have the prerequisites for and haven't already taken are full. My local CC has a Microbiology class that my 4-year will give me upper-level Bio elective credit for. I am taking some non-science general education courses at CC too to save money and commuting time.

Do you think it would be okay to add on the Microbiology to my CC courseload?

So, my spring schedule would be:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday courses taken at a 4-year university: Statistics and Gen Chem II

Tuesday/Thursday classes taken at a CC: Microbiology and History

If it matters, I am applying in summer of '21 and am trying to patch up my science GPA after it took a sudden dive in Dec. 2018 as a result of an accident caused by an epileptic seizure during finals week.

Thanks!
It's fine. This is a very common thing with people in CA, for what it's worth. Cheap tuition is not something to sneeze at.

Reactions: 1 users
It's fine. This is a very common thing with people in CA, for what it's worth. Cheap tuition is not something to sneeze at.

Thank you so much! Happy Holidays to you and yours! :)

Reactions: 1 users