Taking more Biology classes if non-bio major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a business major, is it true that I have to take more bio classes in order to be competitive when applying to dental schools?

For example I take all my pre-reqs - should I take anatomy, genetics, microbio and stuff to be "competitive"?

Members don't see this ad.

:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:

Recommended doesn't mean that you don't have to take them. It means that it's better to take them.

I'm a math and econ double major and I have taken genetics, molecular bio, cell bio, biochem, embryology, and advanced molecular biology.

Then, yes, take them!:cool:

:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:YES:eek:

Recommended doesn't mean that you don't have to take them. It means that it's better to take them.

I'm a math and econ double major and I have taken genetics, molecular bio, cell bio, biochem, embryology, and advanced molecular biology.

Then, yes, take them!:cool:

What about Anatomy and Physiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on your goals and your current status...

for example - If you've only taken your classic pre-dents, but you rocked them with a strong GPA (above 3.5+) and your current overall is also 3.5+, I don't think you will need to take "many" upper level sciences or recommended courses (maybe 2 or so would be enough). I mean, you can take more, they woun't hurt you, as matter of fact they would make you look better, but if you didn't, I don't think it would hurt you that much

However, the problem is, many schools these days are starting to require some upper level sciences example biochemistry and microbiology are pretty popular nowadays

One point to remember is, these upper level sciences might give you a little easier time during your first year in dental school.

Why are you asking us this? is your schedule too tight as is and your just unable to squeeze upper level sciences?

Isn't biochem a pre-req?

And I asked anatomy and Phyi because I would assume it would look good taken :p

Isn't biochem a pre-req?

And I asked anatomy and Phyi because I would assume it would look good taken :p

Sure take them if you got the room. However I was told by a few dental students that undergrad level anatomy didn't help them that much cause it only covers like 10% of what dental school anatomy expects from you lol..... Physiology on the other hand is a different story, if you have a good physiology professor at your school ..... usually that means hard professor whos going to make you work hard for your high grade, then yeh, it would give you a pretty good background for the physiolog that you'll cover in d-school

As far as biochem goes... I believe most schools only "recommend" it

Sure take them if you got the room. However I was told by a few dental students that undergrad level anatomy didn't help them that much cause it only covers like 10% of what dental school anatomy expects from you lol..... Physiology on the other hand is a different story, if you have a good physiology professor at your school ..... usually that means hard professor whos going to make you work hard for your high grade, then yeh, it would give you a pretty good background for the physiolog that you'll cover in d-school

As far as biochem goes... I believe most schools only "recommend" it

Well next sem I am taking biochem for sure, but this class is at such a time I really cant take any other class except a few that conflict with biochem (also taking physics and 2 business classes).

The only other class I can take is Genetics for this semester, my question is should I? Or should I rock out Biochem and Physics and take 3 business classes and rock those out?

Also is Biochem considered upper level? (in the 3000 range for us)

I haven't taken anatomy b/c my school doesn't offer to undergraduate students:mad:

I would say, take as many biology classes as possible if you can get at least A- on each of them, or at least not lower than your current GPA.
If you think your GPA might go down taking upper level bio classes, then don't take them. The admission people might think that you can't handle hard courses enough.

BUT, I recommend taking as many hard science courses as possible.
"Life is a challenge, meet it!!"

***take genetics if your schedule allows you to. It's an interesting class and helps you in many questions from the DAT.

I haven't taken anatomy b/c my school doesn't offer to undergraduate students:mad:

I would say, take as many biology classes as possible if you can get at least A- on each of them, or at least not lower than your current GPA.
If you think your GPA might go down taking upper level bio classes, then don't take them. The admission people might think that you can't handle hard courses enough.

BUT, I recommend taking as many hard science courses as possible.
"Life is a challenge, meet it!!"

***take genetics if your schedule allows you to. It's an interesting class and helps you in many questions from the DAT.

wait....have you even gotten into dental school?