Taking more science classes junior year to raise BCPM / English major

Exmachina

Dec 24, 2014
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey guys! So I made my schedule for next semester and I'm going to be a junior. I want to raise my BCPM up a bit so I'm taking 16 credits of classes for the next two semesters to count towards my BCPM.

Does it look bad that I'm not taking any English classes since I'm an English major?

I know that cGPA matters but doesn't sGPA matter more?

Lawpy

31% Full Member
    7+ Year Member
    SDN Ambassador
  • Jun 17, 2014
    Replacement Chat
    forums.studentdoctor.net
      Hey guys! So I made my schedule for next semester and I'm going to be a junior. I want to raise my BCPM up a bit so I'm taking 16 credits of classes for the next two semesters to count towards my BCPM.

Does it look bad that I'm not taking any English classes since I'm an English major?

I know that cGPA matters but doesn't sGPA matter more?

1. You're fine. No one cares.

2. They both matter, so aim to make sure they are both reasonably high (at least a 3.6)

About the Ads

Exmachina

Dec 24, 2014
        Haha theater <3

So for junior year in the fall I'm taking Astronomy, biochemistry, neural circuits and behavior (bio class), finite math (intro 1000 level), intro to stat (17 credits).

In the spring I'm taking organic chemistry, bioinformatics, anatomy, human embryology, and another bio class (17 credits).

I want to get my BCPM up. Is it okay that I'm taking somewhat easier classes to get them up like finite math, stat, astronomy?

onyisraw

Oct 25, 2013
        1. Pre-Medical
          I'm no adcom but the math course might be overboard. Stats is fine I'm sure. And then the astronomy course I can't comment on. But that 100o level math is low, assuming that you have a prior math record up to calculus 1 at least?

Lawpy

31% Full Member
          7+ Year Member
          SDN Ambassador
        • Jun 17, 2014
          Replacement Chat
          forums.studentdoctor.net
            Haha theater <3

So for junior year in the fall I'm taking Astronomy, biochemistry, neural circuits and behavior (bio class), finite math (intro 1000 level), intro to stat (17 credits).

In the spring I'm taking organic chemistry, bioinformatics, anatomy, human embryology, and another bio class (17 credits).

I want to get my BCPM up. Is it okay that I'm taking somewhat easier classes to get them up like finite math, stat, astronomy?
            Yeah, I do. Should I take a harder math class? Or would that seem too easy? The class offered right above it is calc with precalc.

Since your sGPA is only 3.5, it's better to stick with an easier science schedule to bump your sGPA up to a 3.6 or higher.

Salt Salt

5+ Year Member
            May 18, 2014
            1. Medical Student
              No one cares that you're not taking English classes, but don't overdo it on the sciences. Those sound challenging and frankly if you only have a 3.5 sGPA I think this might backfire...

wegotthis14

Jun 1, 2014
              1. Medical Student (Accepted)
                Adcoms don't care. That being said, don't bite off more than you can chew with the science classes. If you take too many at a time, you might not have enough time to devote to them and your plan may backfire.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
                May 5, 2015
                1. Non-Student
                  Science GPA probably matters a hair more but your overall GPA still matters and no one cares. They aren't going to check to make sure your on track to graduate. Just be smart in doing this; your not impressing any ADCOM loading up on easy science classes that nonscience majors take and the class itself matters. Doing well in biochemistry is alot more significant to an ADCOM than doing well in linear algebra even though both count towards Science GPA. Talk to upperclassmen try and find some of the easier upper level science electives your school offers if your solely trying to boost science gpa.

Exmachina

Dec 24, 2014
                    Yeah, I'm not taking too many science classes. My schedule has been pretty science heavy so it's fine. I do have time to devote to them and many of them have easy-ish professors.

I kinda screwed up my gen chem 2 grade by getting a C+ and I got C+ in Bio 1 and 2 but I've been taking upper level science courses since and I've gotten A-/A's.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.