Taking more science classes junior year to raise BCPM / English major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exmachina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I made my schedule for next semester and I'm going to be a junior. I want to raise my BCPM up a bit so I'm taking 16 credits of classes for the next two semesters to count towards my BCPM.

Does it look bad that I'm not taking any English classes since I'm an English major?

I know that cGPA matters but doesn't sGPA matter more?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I made my schedule for next semester and I'm going to be a junior. I want to raise my BCPM up a bit so I'm taking 16 credits of classes for the next two semesters to count towards my BCPM.

Does it look bad that I'm not taking any English classes since I'm an English major?

I know that cGPA matters but doesn't sGPA matter more?

1. You're fine. No one cares.

2. They both matter, so aim to make sure they are both reasonably high (at least a 3.6)

Okay good!

I'm have a 3.5 science gpa and 3.7 non science gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @Lawper. You're an English major, but you're also premed, so it's expected that you'll take a lot of science classes.

Also, I've been meaning to see OP in theaters!

Reactions: 1 user
Haha theater <3

So for junior year in the fall I'm taking Astronomy, biochemistry, neural circuits and behavior (bio class), finite math (intro 1000 level), intro to stat (17 credits).

In the spring I'm taking organic chemistry, bioinformatics, anatomy, human embryology, and another bio class (17 credits).

I want to get my BCPM up. Is it okay that I'm taking somewhat easier classes to get them up like finite math, stat, astronomy?

I'm no adcom but the math course might be overboard. Stats is fine I'm sure. And then the astronomy course I can't comment on. But that 100o level math is low, assuming that you have a prior math record up to calculus 1 at least?

Yeah, I do. Should I take a harder math class? Or would that seem too easy? The class offered right above it is calc with precalc.

Haha theater <3

So for junior year in the fall I'm taking Astronomy, biochemistry, neural circuits and behavior (bio class), finite math (intro 1000 level), intro to stat (17 credits).

In the spring I'm taking organic chemistry, bioinformatics, anatomy, human embryology, and another bio class (17 credits).

I want to get my BCPM up. Is it okay that I'm taking somewhat easier classes to get them up like finite math, stat, astronomy?
Yeah, I do. Should I take a harder math class? Or would that seem too easy? The class offered right above it is calc with precalc.

Since your sGPA is only 3.5, it's better to stick with an easier science schedule to bump your sGPA up to a 3.6 or higher.

all the other science classes are filled up next semester though :(

No one cares that you're not taking English classes, but don't overdo it on the sciences. Those sound challenging and frankly if you only have a 3.5 sGPA I think this might backfire...

You will be fine - the more important thing is to make sure your slate is manageable so you get a good GPA. If you can do that, you'll be good to go.

Adcoms don't care. That being said, don't bite off more than you can chew with the science classes. If you take too many at a time, you might not have enough time to devote to them and your plan may backfire.

Science GPA probably matters a hair more but your overall GPA still matters and no one cares. They aren't going to check to make sure your on track to graduate. Just be smart in doing this; your not impressing any ADCOM loading up on easy science classes that nonscience majors take and the class itself matters. Doing well in biochemistry is alot more significant to an ADCOM than doing well in linear algebra even though both count towards Science GPA. Talk to upperclassmen try and find some of the easier upper level science electives your school offers if your solely trying to boost science gpa.

Yeah, I'm not taking too many science classes. My schedule has been pretty science heavy so it's fine. I do have time to devote to them and many of them have easy-ish professors.

I kinda screwed up my gen chem 2 grade by getting a C+ and I got C+ in Bio 1 and 2 but I've been taking upper level science courses since and I've gotten A-/A's.

Okay guys i'm taking an extra bio class instead of finite math!