Taking off shirt in PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDRYay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently prospecting a career in Physical Therapy - but one thing that I'd like to know, being that PT is a very, very hands-on treatment type profession, in PT school - how often were the males required to remove their shirts for a lab of some sort?

I ask because I have very severe gynecomastia and loose skin from weight loss that can only be corrected by surgery and would be...extremely uncomfortable if I were to be required to remove my shirt for lab..

It may seem like a trivial thing, but to me, it isn't. It may not stall my pursuits of PT, but I'd like a heads up anyway.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was practicing TherEx today and I was constantly taking off my shirt. So yes males will be required to take off their shirts quite frequently in the lab.

Kevin

Dude you will be fine... You will be so close with your cohort it will seem like walking around your house with no shirt on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep pursuing your dream man, facing and overcoming your fears is a sure way to becoming a better person!

People in my program are all different shapes, sizes and colors. No once cares. There's a common goal and no one is sitting in the corner saying "omg look at so and so's blank." If you are that uncomfortable, I'm sure you can talk to the lab instructor and work something out. Do your thing man.

I love the support on these threads! I think if you explain your situation to your professor before-hand, that he/she will understand. Then when you feel comfortable enough you can take your shirt off. Or you can maybe wear tight-fitting under-armor type shirts.

personally, i doubt the professors will let you get away with keeping your shirt on...it takes away from the learning experience of others around you if they have to palpate through a shirt. but as other posters have pointed out, you will grow to be very comfortable around your classmates...

People in my program are all different shapes, sizes and colors. No once cares. There's a common goal and no one is sitting in the corner saying "omg look at so and so's blank." If you are that uncomfortable, I'm sure you can talk to the lab instructor and work something out. Do your thing man.

She couldn't have said it any better. I've had my own personal fears of what people may think of me from some insecurities of my own from undergrad and even as far back as high school as sad as it sounds. My big insecurity is not exactly trusting others as I was bullied/harassed/backstabbed quite a bit primarily in high school. Mini Life Story Time (I swear this whole forum is going to know me in and out before im done..haha): In elementary school I was bullied for being overweight but got into sports in middle school. I eventually gained 'popularity' a bit but I chose to defend the weak instead of becoming a part of the "in-crowd." I especially defended some of the Special Ed students because they got it bad from the 'jocks' and as you can imagine, me defending them combined with me being a gullible person got myself to be ganged up on quite a bit. Actually, this mini-story contributed a small part to my decision to go into PT but I digress.. I would like to say that I am 'over it' years later but it still resonates with me from time to time as found myself still questioning people's true intent sadly.

I haven't even started school yet and I can already tell the huge difference in the people. Everyone is more friendly, mature, professional, down to earth... The big bonus about PT school is that your with people that have the same frame of my mind as you do for the most part. No matter what, these people shouldn't judge you, ESPECIALLY on appearance. And if they do, they should definitely NOT be in PT. This goes for the professors too!

Anyways, my point of this whole entire post is that we all have insecurities about something. The fact of the matter is that whether its seen physically or mentally, we all have our issues. What makes PT so great is the fact that we are all a special kind of people who actually ACCEPTS everyone...It doesn't matter if your white, black, gay, straight, tall, short, overweight, skinny, have any kind of mental issues or physical issues...We are all there for each other and actually accept each other. Its a shocker and its something that I am still getting used to myself...but its real! Look forward to it!!

Last edited:
Just about all labs require shirt off/bathing suit tops. The lab is a judgement-free zone. Of course there are always one or two people who who not understand this during the first semester. They're usually the ones who no one wants to work with and they pick up on that fact and become more conscientious quite quickly.

At the beginning of every lab, Petey Pablo shouts, "take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' head, spin it like a helicopter", in my head.

Reactions: 1 user
Just about all labs require shirt off/bathing suit tops. The lab is a judgement-free zone. Of course there are always one or two people who who not understand this during the first semester. They're usually the ones who no one wants to work with and they pick up on that fact and become more conscientious quite quickly.

At the beginning of every lab, Petey Pablo shouts, "take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' head, spin it like a helicopter", in my head.

Northhhh Carolinaaaa! Lol

Glad to see people here have a sense of humor!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLwMrqFeaZg[/YOUTUBE]

I will bite and chime in on this.. I had several palpation labs in undergrad and if your worrying about having an abnormal figure your either in the wrong field or have to get over your fears quickly. SHIRTS COME OFF. PERIOD. People come in all shapes and sizes and one of the hardest parts of anatomy is locating standardized structures on unstandardized bodies. Your lab partner will have a tough job on their palpations but will be only that much of a stronger PT because of it! How are you going to work with fragile populations if you cannot accept who you are in your own skin? PT school is full of accepting people, I wouldnt let physical appearances hinder any of your dreams.

Best of luck

+1 to what basically everyone else has said... Yes, you'll need to take off your shirt. If PT is what you want to do, don't let a little embarassment stop you :)

And also, it isn't high school. No one's going to give you a mean nickname or anything. The other students will be considerate and you will be close with them.

Remember, you aren't in high school anymore. You are in a class of adults who are training to become doctors in physical therapy. No one is going to be mean or judge you. Part of becoming a physical therapist is treating patients of all different sizes, the majority of people aren't going to be super fit. Also remember, the chances are that all your classmates are going to be at least somewhat nervous about having to remove their shirts too.