taking one prereq at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebralover37

Reaction score
I am currently registered to take calculus at my community college at home over the summer. I did this because I want to have more room in my schedule to possibly pick up a third minor later in my college career, and my scholarship to my university only covers fall and winter semesters. Taking the class at my community college saves me $1500, but will medical schools look down on the one credit if all of my others were taken at my university?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools don't require calculus so it's not a big issue. Few schools are going to require calculus and not accept community college credits. I don't know why taking Calculus in the summer at a community college to save money would be looked at as a big red flag but I'm not an adcom so...

Reactions: 1 user
I can only think of one school off the top of my head that requires calculus (Harvard), but there could be more and that could have changed. Either way, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. You’ll be fine.