taking organic chemistry after long break from general chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zklo48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took Gen Chem in spring 2010, at a local CC and got an A. I kind of flew by by the seat of my pants on that one, though. I didn't take all my prereqs in undergrad though, and I'm doing a postbac year to taking my missing prereqs, which include Chem II, Orgo I and II. My question is: should I retake Chem I before going into Orgo I (my local state school's system goes: GenChem I, Orgo I, Orgo II, GenChemII)? It would mess up my time line (would have to take the MCATs without having taken Orgo II), but I'm willing to do that if it means I do better in Orgo I and II.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of orgo is it's own beast. I doubt you need to retake gen chem 1. There are lots of good review options available on the web to brush up ahead of time.

I retook Gen Chem I&II and then took O Chem I&II that summer of the same year. O Chem IS its own beast for sure. I think its mostly related to what you would learn in Chem I though. I thought you had to take gen chem 1&2 before you took the o chems? I agree though you shouldn't have to retake gen chem. I think you can brush up on it like SN12357 said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before ochem, you might review stoichiometry for lab and possibly some Lewis structures/hybridization/bonding concepts for lecture (although most ochem books have this in the first couple chapters). Pretty much everything else in organic is self-contained organic stuff that will be taught from ground up. Definitely don't retake Chem I/II.

Ochem is a different animal than gen chem; like everyone is saying, I don't think your foundation in gen chem would greatly affect your ability to take on Ochem. And retaking anything you got an A on? No. Maybe some review on bonding and the geometry like someone mentioned, but that's going to be the first few chapters anyway which is comparatively easy to the rest.

No need to take gen chem over again. The first week or so might go a little fast for you but it's no big deal. Get Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and you'll be set.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what everyone is saying above... What I would do (and kind of an doing) since I started reviewing ochem before gen chem - both of which I took ~10 years ago is going back to basic chemistry concepts as needed. You'll be surprised how much comes back even if it was an easier class at a CC college

I agree though you shouldn't have to retake gen chem. I think you can brush up on it like SN12357 said.
ubxLTb

I would recommend reviewing gen chem. Berkeley Review Gen Chem is great prep for the MCAT, too - some students complain it's too content heavy but it might be about right for you. I was 5 years out of gen chem when I started studying for the MCAT, so basically did not remember anything. I used TBR and got a 12 on the PS section.
Organic chemistry requires some knowledge of gen chem as it refers to types of chemical bonds, electronegativity and polarity. But I agree that it's very different from gen chem, as I recall it has much less math than gen chem and depends more on memorization of reactions and spatial reasoning.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend reviewing gen chem. Berkeley Review Gen Chem is great prep for the MCAT, too - some students complain it's too content heavy but it might be about right for you. I was 5 years out of gen chem when I started studying for the MCAT, so basically did not remember anything. I used TBR and got a 12 on the PS section.
Organic chemistry requires some knowledge of gen chem as it refers to types of chemical bonds, electronegativity and polarity. But I agree that it's very different from gen chem, as I recall it has much less math than gen chem and depends more on memorization of reactions and spatial reasoning.
+1

You're fine for organic but you'll need to review for the mcat. Berkeley review was great for me- i got a 15 in the ps section despite a 13 year gap between chemistry 1 and the exam. If you feel like you want a leg up on organic you should check out organic chemistry as a second language before you start. Good luck!