Taking Organic Chemistry Freshmen Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Almost7Famous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a new member on SDN and I would like some help regarding some freshmen year coursework. I was thinking of using my AP Chemistry Credit toward my freshmen year gen chem 1 and 2. I'm taking AP Chemistry right now and have a solid 99. I'm pretty good at chemistry and feel that i shouldn't waste time taking gen chem 1 and 2 again next year at the university level. Btw, I'm a chemical engineering major. So if I choose to skip gen chem 1 and 2, I would be taking the following courses my semester freshmen year:

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab
2. Calc based Physics Mechanics (I had a 96 in Physics C Mechanics)
3. Multivariable Calculus (Calc III) - (Using my Calc BC Credit)
4. Computer Science I for Engineers - (I had a 5 on my AP Comp Sci Test)
5. English Rhetoric and Composition - (Already took AP English)

Semester 2:

1. Organic Chem II w/ Lab
2. Calc Based Physics Electricity ( Taking Physics C Electricity atm)
3. Differential Equations
4. Computer Science II
5. English Literature (Taking this class atm)
6. Psychology - for 2015 MCAT? (took AP psychology)

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

Basically, I have a lot of experience with AP stuff and I also go to a top 1% high school - our AP courses are much harder than those compared to other high schools. Regarding the general chemistry credit, if I take O Chem freshmen year, I will be able to take Physical Chemistry I and II Sophomore Year, which will count as advanced chemistry credit.

PS: I can be defined as a nice "gunner", I will be studying for Ochem I, Multivariable Calc, and MCAT the summer before my freshmen year. :)

Please tell me if this is still advisable!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some med schools don't take AP credit. Also AP courses aren't anywhere near the level of college courses. Slow down, cowboy. Make sure you can stay afloat and try to enjoy your first semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust me, I saw the all the exams given at the university in gen chem I and II. They are too easy. Like I said, I heard that as long as you take upper level chemistry courses such as P chem and Analytical Chem then you can definitely use ap credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do all that and maintain at least mostly A grades with a few B grades, then go for it.

From my perspective, it is a little intense. I would risk burn out and would like a little bit more time to relax. You are going to college for an experience as well as an education. There is no telling how you will finally act when you get out from under the shelter of your parents. I know a lot of people that started put all "I am going to be the smartest, study the hardest, and get the best grades" until their first term. Then when there is nobody there to tell them what to do, they fail out. If you have the will power and the self motivation to make it through, then go for it. Most people start their college by easing into it and taking some of the easier pre-req classes.

Good luck. It sounds like you know what you want and are willing to risk a lot to get it.

dsoz

Ochem 1 is really easy... People make it sound much worse than what it really is.

Trust me, I saw the all the exams given at the university in gen chem I and II. They are too easy. Like I said, I heard that as long as you take upper level chemistry courses such as P chem and Analytical Chem then you can definitely use ap credit.

You could consider it as a GPA boost then. You might not think you need it now, but you might wish you had some solid As to balance out classes in areas you arent as strong in when you apply.

Hi everyone! I'm a new member on SDN and I would like some help regarding some freshmen year coursework. I was thinking of using my AP Chemistry Credit toward my freshmen year gen chem 1 and 2. I'm taking AP Chemistry right now and have a solid 99. I'm pretty good at chemistry and feel that i shouldn't waste time taking gen chem 1 and 2 again next year at the university level. Btw, I'm a chemical engineering major. So if I choose to skip gen chem 1 and 2, I would be taking the following courses my semester freshmen year:

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab

Semester 2:

4. Computer Science II

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

Basically, I have a lot of experience with AP stuff and I also go to a top 1% high school - our AP courses are much harder than those compared to other high schools. Regarding the general chemistry credit, if I take O Chem freshmen year, I will be able to take Physical Chemistry I and II Sophomore Year, which will count as advanced chemistry credit.

PS: I can be defined as a nice "gunner", I will be studying for Ochem I, Multivariable Calc, and MCAT the summer before my freshmen year. :)

How about trying to enjoy college? College is a time for personal growth, just as much as it is a time to do well in class. Stop trying to rush things. Also, lose the "I'm so great i go to a top 1% high school, everything is easy" crap before you make enemies. Nobody cares where you went to high school when you get to college, and nobody cares if you think classes are so easy. For most people upper division science classes aren't easy, and you are going to look like a douche if you go around bragging about how easy things are. Not to mention adcoms will hate that attitude. Try to have fun, it will make you a more rounded individual and applicant.

If you can do all that and maintain at least mostly A grades with a few B grades, then go for it.

From my perspective, it is a little intense. I would risk burn out and would like a little bit more time to relax. You are going to college for an experience as well as an education. There is no telling how you will finally act when you get out from under the shelter of your parents. I know a lot of people that started put all "I am going to be the smartest, study the hardest, and get the best grades" until their first term. Then when there is nobody there to tell them what to do, they fail out. If you have the will power and the self motivation to make it through, then go for it. Most people start their college by easing into it and taking some of the easier pre-req classes.

Good luck. It sounds like you know what you want and are willing to risk a lot to get it.

dsoz

LOL... funny thing... my parents will be living with me XD So i will have that sheltering.

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab

Semester 2:

4. Computer Science II

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

A few of the medical schools I applied to didn't accept AP credit for gen chem. I think you should reevaluate if taking AP credit would be a wise choice.

LOL... funny thing... my parents will be living with me XD So i will have that sheltering.

Or you'll be living with them.

It seems like a pretty tough course load though but as long as you stay motivated, you can certainly achieve these goals.

A few of the medical schools I applied to didn't accept AP credit for gen chem. I think you should reevaluate if taking AP credit would be a wise choice.

Why would they not accept it?

According to http://www.med.umn.edu/medical-school-students/medical-school-admissions/prerequisites/index.htm

Requirements cannot be fulfilled by AP credits. If you received AP credit for courses such as general chemistry or biology, you’ll still need 1 semester of chemistry and biology with labs. This can be an advanced chemistry, organic chemistry, or any advanced biology course. Do not re-take coursework for which you already received AP credit.

+1 I really think you're making a mistake thinking you can skip both gen chems by taking p chem. I just checked a few schools and some let you skip one but none have let you skip both.

Members don't see this ad :)

This. Medical schools are very inconsistent in who accepts credit and who doesn't. If anything, re-taking chemistry your first year will help pad your GPA in the possible event you don't do well in other courses, not to mention cover your bases when it comes to eligibility.

Plus, if it's easy then you can ease into college and hit the ECs harder than those who are still trying to figure out how to study/succeed academically.

In that case, I can take gen chem 2 first semester, push O chem I to 2nd semester and then take O chem 2 over the summer with bio 1. I'll have to push linear algebra to first semester of sophomore year. I think this will workout fine too.

OP I'm a freshman in college right now. Keep in mind I'm not at an Ivy, just a respectable state school. I Just wanted to say that the advice that "AP courses are nowhere near the level of a college class" is something you should definitely take with a grain of salt. I was told the same thing as a high school junior and senior when given advice about accepting AP credits, and the classes in college have been actually mostly easier than the AP classes. I went to a very good high school as well. Freshman year has been overall a lot easier than high school was (I took 7 APs senior year).

I was told the same thing. I'm in 7 APs right now w/ 16 APs overall. Both my parents are MDs and are telling me to take the O chem series next year, but it looks like I might have to add a semester of gen chem. oh well :)

Whether or not you decide to use your AP Chem credits, taking Ochem as a Fall Freshman is NOT a good idea. You will less likely get a high grade. Your classmates will be mostly sophomores who will have taken Gen Chem at that school.

do you plan on having any social life in college?

In hindsight, I would only use AP science credits for Bio II and maybe one Gen Chem.

Last edited:
OP:
My school offered placement into Freshman year organic chemistry for people with AP Chem credit.

What my school did not tell me was
a) freshman year organic chemistry will take away your life
b) by letting me forego freshman year gen chem, they expected me to take more advanced chemistry to make up for the loss of a chem class, therefore I only received AP credit for ONE semester of Gen Chem. NOT two. (CHM131, not CHM 132). This led to problems when I decided not to pursue higher levels of chem (see below)

I ended up hating organic chem and hating chemistry in general, so after I completed orgo 1 and 2, I stopped taking chem.

Later, I had to take freshman year gen chem (CHM132) in my last year of college to fulfill the pre-med requirement.

Man did I regret taking freshman year orgo...

SUMMARY: Make sure that you're getting AP credit for ONE FULL YEAR of gen chem, not just a semester. But since you're doing ChemE, you should be fine. Just make sure you're positive about it

OP:
My school offered placement into Freshman year organic chemistry for people with AP Chem credit.

What my school did not tell me was
a) freshman year organic chemistry will take away your life
b) by letting me forego freshman year gen chem, they expected me to take more advanced chemistry to make up for the loss of a chem class, therefore I only received AP credit for ONE semester of Gen Chem. NOT two. (CHM131, not CHM 132). This led to problems when I decided not to pursue higher levels of chem (see below)

I ended up hating organic chem and hating chemistry in general, so after I completed orgo 1 and 2, I stopped taking chem.

Later, I had to take freshman year gen chem (CHM132) in my last year of college to fulfill the pre-med requirement.

Man did I regret taking freshman year orgo...

SUMMARY: Make sure that you're getting AP credit for ONE FULL YEAR of gen chem, not just a semester. But since you're doing ChemE, you should be fine. Just make sure you're positive about it

That really sucks. I made sure I read all of the information regarding the credits and even called registrar's office a few days ago. Thanks for the information.

You should be having fun in college. Getting into med school isn't going to make you happy.

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab

Semester 2:

4. Computer Science II

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

Let me say this. You sound like you are smarter than me. I took the AP credit and harder classes sooner and I'm sure it hurt my GPA. But I prolly also wasn't as mature as I should have been at that time with my studies and goals and everything.

If you are confident and determined I say take the credit and go for it. Keep in mind though once you cover the pre-reqs you don't get too much extra credit with ADCOMS for other classes unless you obtain another degree besides the bachelor's. GPA is huge.

If I had to do it again, I guess I would lean toward taking the credit and the harder classes sooner; but things worked out. If things were different I might be saying something else.
Again, you seem like you are smarter than I am. I think you'll be fine. :thumbup::)

How about trying to enjoy college? College is a time for personal growth, just as much as it is a time to do well in class. Stop trying to rush things. Also, lose the "I'm so great i go to a top 1% high school, everything is easy" crap before you make enemies. Nobody cares where you went to high school when you get to college, and nobody cares if you think classes are so easy. For most people upper division science classes aren't easy, and you are going to look like a douche if you go around bragging about how easy things are. Not to mention adcoms will hate that attitude. Try to have fun, it will make you a more rounded individual and applicant.

Agree, however the OP's schedule looks fine to me. I do think it's wise to knock out OChem before he hits the ChE courses which will be harder than anything he has ever taken (or possibly will ever take).

If you were a true gunner, you'd be taking the easiest classes you could to ensure that you can get a 4.0. With your free time, join a lab and start pumping out posters and publications. Get a job in a clinical situation. Start a volunteer organization and make a significant difference. There's no point worrying over hard courses if you don't need to.

If you were a true gunner, you'd be taking the easiest classes you could to ensure that you can get a 4.0. With your free time, join a lab and start pumping out posters and publications. Get a job in a clinical situation. Start a volunteer organization and make a significant difference. There's no point worrying over hard courses if you don't need to.

Agreed. However, I really want to do research in ChemE topics such as nanotechnology, polymers, and computational biology. My major is actually Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, so I really would like to focus on the biomolecular aspect. However, I doubt professors would even give me a serious look without taking courses such as Organic Chem and P-Chem. Ultimately, my goal is Harvard - MIT HST and I don't want to take a gap year to only do research. That's why I need to start early on the tougher courses. Plus, I will be studying probably 1-3 hours a day over summer trying to be solid once school starts. I don't think it will be too bad. I've decided to take gen chem 2 my 1st semester and then orgo I my 2nd semester.

I'm also wondering whether medical schools will take AP Psycholody credit after 2015. Psychology will be tested on the 2015 MCAT, so should I actually take the class again or just study psychology topics using my school's curriculum independently and use the credit.

Agreed. However, I really want to do research in ChemE topics such as nanotechnology, polymers, and computational biology. My major is actually Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, so I really would like to focus on the biomolecular aspect. However, I doubt professors would even give me a serious look without taking courses such as Organic Chem and P-Chem. Ultimately, my goal is Harvard - MIT HST and I don't want to take a gap year to only do research. That's why I need to start early on the tougher courses. Plus, I will be studying probably 1-3 hours a day over summer trying to be solid once school starts. I don't think it will be too bad. I've decided to take gen chem 2 my 1st semester and then orgo I my 2nd semester.

They won't care. A basic knowledge of bio, chem, and math are all the background you need. You can pick up the rest with some reading pertinent to the project you're working on.

I'm also wondering whether medical schools will take AP Psycholody credit after 2015. Psychology will be tested on the 2015 MCAT, so should I actually take the class again or just study psychology topics using my school's curriculum independently and use the credit.

Don't take a class if you don't need to unless it's something you're particularly interested in

They won't care. A basic knowledge of bio, chem, and math are all the background you need. You can pick up the rest with some reading pertinent to the project you're working on.

Agreed. You can definitely get into a lab doing exactly what you want without necessary having upper division courses.

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab

Semester 2:

4. Computer Science II

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

I can tell that you probably a few amount of friends - less so after college me thinks.
Yeah, take these classes, good idea mhm.

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab

Semester 2:

4. Computer Science II

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

I understand why you're taking orgo freshman year (I did the same) but why are you taking English and Mechanics? Did your school not give you credit for those? I took the 3rd semester of the Physics sequence (optics, relativity) first term and received credit for English. I also think your semester 2 is one class too many. The summer after my freshman year I did research off campus, a much better option than taking classes in my opinion.

My goodness, my high school life was characterized by hanging out with friends every day and trying to talk to the prettiest girl; didn't think about college until it was time to apply. You'll probably be fine with whatever you choose take your freshman year, OP, especially with that attitude.

My goodness, my high school life was characterized by hanging out with friends every day and trying to talk to the prettiest girl; didn't think about college until it was time to apply. You'll probably be fine with whatever you choose take your freshman year, OP, especially with that attitude.

Likewise. Sheesh, kids these days. Girls, modding cars, worrying about getting booze, mountain biking, and skiing.....school came after. To each his own i guess!

^ Same here. Mainly girls and sports. My school had ZERO AP classes and things have worked out fine for me...

I understand why you're taking orgo freshman year (I did the same) but why are you taking English and Mechanics? Did your school not give you credit for those? I took the 3rd semester of the Physics sequence (optics, relativity) first term and received credit for English. I also think your semester 2 is one class too many. The summer after my freshman year I did research off campus, a much better option than taking classes in my opinion.

Isn't 2 semesters of english required for medical school? I need to take 8 semesters of Physics for medical school- since I'm doing engineering I need to do calc based physics.

Lol. We had em, but there was no way in hell I would have taken one.

Haha, same here.

I was also ridiculously good at basketball back in those days, but college kind of took that away :(

Isn't 2 semesters of english required for medical school? I need to take 8 semesters of Physics for medical school- since I'm doing engineering I need to do calc based physics.

I took Professional Writing instead of frosh English. Most medical schools like to see writing intensive classes. I suppose you meant 8 credits of physics. Most everywhere calc based physics is a three semester sequence. Since I took AP Physics C (both parts) taking the third semester at college completes the sequence and is the recommended path at many schools(such as Harvard).

Haha, same here.

I was also ridiculously good at basketball back in those days, but college kind of took that away :(

Haha it happens! ETOH....er studying and getting all my pre recs done freshman year so I could go to Harvard medical school and brag about my classes got in the way of my agility....oh wells

I took Professional Writing instead of frosh English. Most medical schools like to see writing intensive classes. I suppose you meant 8 credits of physics. Most everywhere calc based physics is a three semester sequence. Since I took AP Physics C (both parts) taking the third semester at college completes the sequence and is the recommended path at many schools(such as Harvard).

Yeah I saw that some universities were covering Calc Physics in 3 semesters. My University combines it into 2 semesters and covers Mechanics, Electricity, Magnetism, and Optics. I don't think it would matter too much for engineering majors, right? I mean ... engineering... cmon...:p I think I'll switch out 2nd semester of english lit ( can't go through this another time...) for advanced composition.

Yeah I saw that some universities were covering Calc Physics in 3 semesters. My University combines it into 2 semesters and covers Mechanics, Electricity, Magnetism, and Optics. I don't think it would matter too much for engineering majors, right? I mean ... engineering... cmon...:p I think I'll switch out 2nd semester of english lit ( can't go through this another time...) for advanced composition.

Is that a specific physics for engineers sequence? There is no way a physics major could cover what needs to be covered in less than 3 semesters. Some schools do it in four.

Is that a specific physics for engineers sequence? There is no way a physics major could cover what needs to be covered in less than 3 semesters. Some schools do in in four.

Yeah it's a specific physics for engineering sequence. All engineers need to do it.