Taking Organic Chemistry Freshmen Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah it's a specific physics for engineering sequence. All engineers need to do it.

Ok, that makes sense. Engineering majors always have special issues with course planning. Best of luck in your studies. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Ew Linear Algebra.....why? Is that really required for chem engineering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only math up to Diff Eq is required for ChemE. However, Harvard HST requires Linear Algebra unfortunately...:(

Lol, ain't nobody got time for dat!!

Hey man, all the power to you. Everybody has different goals. That's a hefty schedule for freshmen fall semester, though.

After a lot of talking to other pre-meds and friends at the university, I made some changes to my schedule.

I don't think I can change it anymore though.

Semester 1: Semester 2:

1. Physics Mechanics w/ Lab (4 cr) 1. Physics E&M, Optics w/ Lab (4 cr)
2. Multi Vari Calc (3) 2. Diff Eq (3)
3. Gen Chem 1 for Engineers w/ lab (4) 3. Gen Chem II w/ Lab (4 cr)
4. Comp Sci I (2) 4. Comp Sci II (2)
5. English Composition (3) 5. Advanced Composition (3)

Total: 16 Total: 16

Summer School:

Bio I w/ Lab (4)
Orgo I w/ Lab (4)

Total: 8

3rd Semester: 4th Semester:

1. Linear Algebra (3) 1. Physical Chemistry I w/ Lab (4)
2. Orgo II w/ Lab (4) 2. Biochemistry w/ Lab (4)
3. Biostatistics (Calc Based) (3) 3. Engineering Biology (3)
4. Bio II w/ Lab (4) 4. Thermodynamics (3)
5. Elementary Chemical Engr. (3) 5. Chem. Engr. Materials (3)

Total: 17 Total: 17

Oops the spacing got messed up.

That schedule looks just like my freshmen and sophomore year schedules. It's very doable. Make sure you are able to consistently nail a 4.0 GPA each semester. Start doing research as early as you can. I started in the spring semester of my freshmen year in a physics lab. Try as hard as possible to get published as a FA or a SA - big plus. Furthermore, start TAing Physics & Chem Courses and Labs in your sophomore year. Good luck with HMS HST. I'm applying for both HST and NP this semester with a 4.0 and a 41T - hope I get in :D. Best of luck to you! PM if you want more details.

That schedule looks just like my freshmen and sophomore year schedules. It's very doable. Make sure you are able to consistently nail a 4.0 GPA each semester. Start doing research as early as you can. I started in the spring semester of my freshmen year in a physics lab. Try as hard as possible to get published as a FA or a SA - big plus. Furthermore, start TAing Physics & Chem Courses and Labs in your sophomore year. Good luck with HMS HST. I'm applying for both HST and NP this semester with a 4.0 and a 41T - hope I get in :D. Best of luck to you! PM if you want more details.

How does one generally get into a research position?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm a new member on SDN and I would like some help regarding some freshmen year coursework. I was thinking of using my AP Chemistry Credit toward my freshmen year gen chem 1 and 2. I'm taking AP Chemistry right now and have a solid 99. I'm pretty good at chemistry and feel that i shouldn't waste time taking gen chem 1 and 2 again next year at the university level. Btw, I'm a chemical engineering major. So if I choose to skip gen chem 1 and 2, I would be taking the following courses my semester freshmen year:

Semester I:

1. Organic Chem I w/ Lab
2. Calc based Physics Mechanics (I had a 96 in Physics C Mechanics)
3. Multivariable Calculus (Calc III) - (Using my Calc BC Credit)
4. Computer Science I for Engineers - (I had a 5 on my AP Comp Sci Test)
5. English Rhetoric and Composition - (Already took AP English)

Semester 2:

1. Organic Chem II w/ Lab
2. Calc Based Physics Electricity ( Taking Physics C Electricity atm)
3. Differential Equations
4. Computer Science II
5. English Literature (Taking this class atm)
6. Psychology - for 2015 MCAT? (took AP psychology)

Summer School:

1. Biology I w/ Lab
2. Linear Algebra

Basically, I have a lot of experience with AP stuff and I also go to a top 1% high school - our AP courses are much harder than those compared to other high schools. Regarding the general chemistry credit, if I take O Chem freshmen year, I will be able to take Physical Chemistry I and II Sophomore Year, which will count as advanced chemistry credit.

PS: I can be defined as a nice "gunner", I will be studying for Ochem I, Multivariable Calc, and MCAT the summer before my freshmen year. :)

Please tell me if this is still advisable!!

Sounds legit to me. Re-evaluate after the first semester and see if you want to take it easier. Save some time for fun.

Looks like an ambitious schedule that I would definitely not recommend to anyone. Before this gets moved to the "What are my chances" section, please realize that University G-Chem is really not like your AP Chemistry class; you'll be missing out on an easy A and a strong letter of recommendation from a professor that can speak to you putting in the hard work (whether you're actually working hard or not) if you skip G-Chem.

As others have also pointed out, while getting credit for some amount of G-Chem may be helpful and check a box with the admissions offices, they're going to look to have you compared with other students that did do the full year of G-Chem or did a full year of advanced chemistry classes which are much harder than anything you've done before, period. You will have to to very well in Organic and Biochemistry while having a good amount of ECs to at least appear balanced. Any student, UG or med student that came across with your proposed transcript would get a quick look at the ECs before I looked any further; but I'm not in that biz, so feel free to take my/our advice or not.

The "I'm a different snowflake and am going to Harvard" stuff is a big turn-off on SDN. If I would have seen that, I wouldn't even have bothered to write this. Taking anything at an Engineering-level of mathematics or physics is a total waste of time if you're trying to get into any medical school; you may want to re-evaluate your choice of major if that is truly your end goal.

I've yet to see one person that said that come back and tell us about their experiences at HMS, but you could be an exception, so who knows. Be careful what you want to be famous for.

Enjoy UG, people that will be crucial to your success later can tell whether you did or not.

Looks like an ambitious schedule that I would definitely not recommend to anyone. Before this gets moved to the "What are my chances" section, please realize that University G-Chem is really not like your AP Chemistry class; you'll be missing out on an easy A and a strong letter of recommendation from a professor that can speak to you putting in the hard work (whether you're actually working hard or not) if you skip G-Chem.

As others have also pointed out, while getting credit for some amount of G-Chem may be helpful and check a box with the admissions offices, they're going to look to have you compared with other students that did do the full year of G-Chem or did a full year of advanced chemistry classes which are much harder than anything you've done before, period. You will have to to very well in Organic and Biochemistry while having a good amount of ECs to at least appear balanced. Any student, UG or med student that came across with your proposed transcript would get a quick look at the ECs before I looked any further; but I'm not in that biz, so feel free to take my/our advice or not.

The "I'm a different snowflake and am going to Harvard" stuff is a big turn-off on SDN. If I would have seen that, I wouldn't even have bothered to write this. Taking anything at an Engineering-level of mathematics or physics is a total waste of time if you're trying to get into any medical school; you may want to re-evaluate your choice of major if that is truly your end goal.

I've yet to see one person that said that come back and tell us about their experiences at HMS, but you could be an exception, so who knows. Be careful what you want to be famous for.

Enjoy UG, people that will be crucial to your success later can tell whether you did or not.

Thanks for your response! I'm going to just push back organic chemistry to the summer and fall semester of sophomore year to take the full year of general chemistry. Sorry if I sounded boastful. HMS HST is just a goal/dream and I didn't even bring it up in this post until a previous sdn member brought it up. Anyway, I will definitely enjoy undergrad!

Thanks for your response! I'm going to just push back organic chemistry to the summer and fall semester of sophomore year to take the full year of general chemistry. Sorry if I sounded boastful. HMS HST is just a goal/dream and I didn't even bring it up in this post until a previous sdn member brought it up. Anyway, I will definitely enjoy undergrad!
I'm glad that you're going to lighten your load up a bit when you start off your UG in a short while. Trust me, it doesn't get any easier and the solid foundation before med school based on stuff that will help you handle the tough biochemical and pharmacokinetics subjects there is key. One last thing, I would ask a few people what the summer O-Chem course is like and what the potential for getting an A in it is versus during the regular academic year. I've heard that it's absolutely brutal and is often the most failed for those that attempt to take it. Orgo with its lab and biochem are so crucial to getting into a good program and I wouldn't gamble with taking it in a super compressed schedule that probably won't give you enough time to study all of the mechanisms to do well.

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like Gen Chem was soooo much harder than org chem. Org chem did not live up to the hype everyone was saying. I was ripped a new ***hole in gen chem lol now I'm TAing for her class :/ go figure.

Why wouldn't you take two classes you know you could do well in? Many students struggle in those classes and getting a 4.0/4.0 would look great.

Slow down, embrace a social life, and do something outside of academics you will enjoy.

I would've died from that course load my freshman year.

Why wouldn't you take two classes you know you could do well in? Many students struggle in those classes and getting a 4.0/4.0 would look great.

Slow down, embrace a social life, and do something outside of academics you will enjoy.

Definitely. I decided to push orgo back.

You could consider it as a GPA boost then. You might not think you need it now, but you might wish you had some solid As to balance out classes in areas you arent as strong in when you apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I wish someone would have told me this my freshman year.

LOL, sorry for reviving this thread

I totally agree. I wish someone would have told me this my freshman year.

LOL, sorry for reviving this thread

I got confused as to where you got the quote from, but I understood.

It's definitely a gamble. I decided to take orgo in my freshman year because I wanted to get rid of my premed prereqs as fast as possible. Fortunately, I did well, but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they have a solid grasp of gen chem (or got a 5 in AP Chem Exam).

Sorry for adding onto the necrobump, but why are you planning on taking summer courses?

Sorry for adding onto the necrobump, but why are you planning on taking summer courses?

I'm not. This was back when I still a bit more uninformed about the whole process. I'm saving every summer to do either a SURF or major volunteer activity (most likely SURF).

I'm not. This was back when I still a bit more uninformed about the whole process. I'm saving every summer to do either a SURF or major volunteer activity (most likely SURF).

This is coming from someone who has never done SURF, so take it with a grain of salt, but I have always wondered why it is more advantageous to do SURF than to stay at your home institution and do research there. Doing the latter allows you to continue your work in the school year, and if your lab has money, you can get paid just as much if not more. You also can do it for more than 10 weeks, and you will likely be around more people that you know.

This is coming from someone who has never done SURF, so take it with a grain of salt, but I have always wondered why it is more advantageous to do SURF than to stay at your home institution and do research there. Doing the latter allows you to continue your work in the school year, and if your lab has money, you can get paid just as much if not more. You also can do it for more than 10 weeks, and you will likely be around more people that you know.

Some of the engineering labs at my school have people who leave for the summer (travel plans, visits, conferences...), so the PI shuts down the the entire lab until august. If I end up joining that type of lab then I will probably do the surf. You made a great point though. I guess people just do SURFs to increase variety in their application.

Last edited:
I got a 5 on the AP Test, tested out of both Gen Chem's and decided to retake it. At our school (top 10 in chem if that matters), Gen Chem was no joke as it was a weeder for both pre-meds and the engineers. The AP version was much harder than the Gen Chem at the lower state schools (or as we called it.. the leftovers) but at ours, it made even the kids who got 5s try. Gen Chem I wasn't bad and looking back, I might have taken the credit for that. Gen Chem II however was more of a bridge between intro and orgo, we spent half the semester on organic structure and reactions.