Taking Orgo over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken it over the summer? And if so, where do you recommend I take Orgo?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taken it over the summer? And if so, where do you recommend I take Orgo?

Thanks

I took Orgo II + lab over the summer. Preferably, you should take it at your undergrad institution. If you can't do that, try to take it at a reputable university wherever you'll be over the summer. Even taking it at a community college shouldn't be a problem if you demonstrate that you took it there for location reasons rather than to make it easier.

I took Orgo II + lab over the summer. Preferably, you should take it at your undergrad institution. If you can't do that, try to take it at a reputable university wherever you'll be over the summer. Even taking it at a community college shouldn't be a problem if you demonstrate that you took it there for location reasons rather than to make it easier.

I'd prefer not to take it at my institution because I'd like to get away for a while. If you don't mind me asking, where did you take it and was it a good experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would NOT take orgo over the summer because it is considered to be the most difficult premed science course of undergrad. You'll get a better grade and learn the material better if you take it over an entire year.

anyone? thanks

My pre-med advisor said that it's preferable to take orgo over the year and at your institution unless you have some sort of compelling reason. If it looks like you're attempting to "lighten your load" during the school year, medical schools will frown upon that.

And if you must take it at another institution, make sure it's at a comparable level to your current undergraduate institution. Again, you want to avoid making it seem like you're taking a short-cut.

Anyway, that's what she says. Although after having gone through this process, I'm not sure if schools even look at your transcript that closely...

Hope that helps.

I'd prefer not to take it at my institution because I'd like to get away for a while. If you don't mind me asking, where did you take it and was it a good experience?

I took it UNC-Chapel Hill, where I'm doing my undergrad (I live here year round). I thought it was a good experience, no different than my other classes (thought I've always liked summer classes because there are fewer people around and I can focus on one class at a time). I think you're best off taking if somewhere of equal reputation as your current school, but it's really not a big deal (where you take one class will never make or break your app).
You'll also want to make sure the credit is transferable if you're also using it for degree requirements.

What are you looking for though? Does cost matter? (maybe take it at your state school). Or, are you going to be in a certain area over the summer?

Also, are you taking both semesters of Orgo or just one? I've found Orgo I to be more conceptually difficult, so taking it over the summer might be hard. I didn't find Orgo II to be any harder over the summer because it was really just different applications of basic principles I already learned.

I took it UNC-Chapel Hill, where I'm doing my undergrad (I live here year round). I thought it was a good experience, no different than my other classes (thought I've always liked summer classes because there are fewer people around and I can focus on one class at a time). I think you're best off taking if somewhere of equal reputation as your current school, but it's really not a big deal (where you take one class will never make or break your app).
You'll also want to make sure the credit is transferable if you're also using it for degree requirements.

What are you looking for though? Does cost matter? (maybe take it at your state school). Or, are you going to be in a certain area over the summer?

Also, are you taking both semesters of Orgo or just one? I've found Orgo I to be more conceptually difficult, so taking it over the summer might be hard. I didn't find Orgo II to be any harder over the summer because it was really just different applications of basic principles I already learned.

I really don't want to stay at my school over the summer. My school is in the middle of nowhere and it's dead to during the summer and a 7 hour drive home. I was thinking of taking it at a community college (so I could live at home) or taking it a state school near me (I would live in a dorm but it's like a 45 min drive so I could home on weekends.) How do you think that would be? But I also don't mind going somewhere else if anyone has had a good experience taking Orgo there.

Thanks

I took orgo I at my undergrad institution (UCSD) and let me tell you that it was pretty damn intense. From what I remember though, it was my first upper division course and if I had the study skills I have now, I would have totally owned it. But I did do well, nevertheless, since the class was curved and everybody including me had a hard time. Also, it did not effect my MCAT organic chem...I didn't even study for it and had it down.

I really don't want to stay at my school over the summer. My school is in the middle of nowhere and it's dead to during the summer and a 7 hour drive home. I was thinking of taking it at a community college (so I could live at home) or taking it a state school near me (I would live in a dorm but it's like a 45 min drive so I could home on weekends.) How do you think that would be? But I also don't mind going somewhere else if anyone has had a good experience taking Orgo there.

Thanks

Don't take it at CC or you will need a pretty good excuse if asked during an interview why you didn't take it at your undergrad. I'm thinking an excuse along the lines of a sickness in the family. Organic chemistry is a key indicator of your performance in med school (well, at least to adcoms), and if you take it at a CC, I am telling you it won't look good. It will seem as though you are just trying to take the easy way out. And seriously, it's NOT a big deal if you stay at school for a little over a month...think about what you will have to do when you move out for medical school.

I took Orgo II + lab over the summer at my home university. Then a few semesters later, I took an Advanced Orgo course. At one of my interviews, the interviewer commented on the Advanced couse saying, "that's impressive and it saved you since you took an organic over the summer". Since it was a compliment, I didn't push him on what that meant. Take that for what it's worth. It may just be one interviewers opinion.

bump. anyone else? thanks

Cornell's orgo class is excellent so I'm not sure why you want to take it elsewhere. Orgo was consistently my best subject on the MCAT and the one topic that I felt I really had an advantage on in comparison to the other kids in my MCAT prep class.

Ditching orgo at Cornell to take it at a CC just won't fly.

it realy depends on the prof you are going to have for the summer, as much for materials wise there is No disadvantage taking over the summer assuming you dont have too many other things going on. :idea: