Taking Physics @ Community College OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken Bio/Gen/Ochem 1/2 @ a university, and for next semester due to schedule conflicts it is more convenient to take Physics 1/2 @ CC.

Is this OK to do, it wont look bad or anything will it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took physics 1 at CC and it was alright..but you should really contact the schools you'll be applying to directly.

For 1, yes it will look bad, a lot of students at the university I attended would take Physics I and II at the local CC because they were afraid of doing bad.

For 2, most Dental Schools do not accept pre-reqs from CC's. If you already have a school in mind it would be worth it to check but i'm sure others can vouch that you must take your pre-reqs at a 4-year university.

Members don't see this ad :)
For 1, yes it will look bad, a lot of students at the university I attended would take Physics I and II at the local CC because they were afraid of doing bad.

For 2, most Dental Schools do not accept pre-reqs from CC's. If you already have a school in mind it would be worth it to check but i'm sure others can vouch that you must take your pre-reqs at a 4-year university.

Is there a list here somewhere that shows what schools do and dont? I have not really decided which school I want to go to.

I also have already taken the basics like English/Calc/History at CC are these including in pre-reqs?

Not true, in fact, the opposite is almost true. There are a number of schools that won't take CC credit, this is true, but it's less than 10, probably less than 5. I know I must seem like Mr. CC Defender on SDN, but yeah, I took all of my pre-reqs at my CC, and other than the minor slap on the wrist of, well, we would have preferred you take them at the 4 year, it wasn't a problem (minus the schools that really don't take CC's, like Temple or Tufts I think, which I didn't apply to accordingly).

Anyways, to the OP, it will look a tad odd that you took all of your other pre-reqs at the 4 year, and only Physics at the CC, so if you can, I'd suggest taking it at your university. If it's absolutely impossible and a total hassle, go ahead and take it at the CC, it won't be too bad, but be prepared to answer questions about this at your interviews. If you started at a CC, well, you started at a CC, but if you started at a university, as stated above, it can look like you're just trying to avoid a really hard teacher or something - not to say that CC classes are always hands down easier or less challenging, as they're not.

Is there a list here somewhere that shows what schools do and dont? I have not really decided which school I want to go to.

I also have already taken the basics like English/Calc/History at CC are these including in pre-reqs?

The good Doc Toothache has a big list of this, though some of the schools that say they don't take CC credit actually do, it's kinda a left hand not talking to the right sometimes at the dental schools - always call schools and ask if you even have a shadow of a doubt.

Often it doesn't matter if you took non-science pre-reqs at CC, mostly it's just the science pre-reqs that can come into question. I know USC flat out told me they completely ignore the non-science pre-reqs if you've got a degree.

The good Doc Toothache has a big list of this, though some of the schools that say they don't take CC credit actually do, it's kinda a left hand not talking to the right sometimes at the dental schools - always call schools and ask if you even have a shadow of a doubt.

Often it doesn't matter if you took non-science pre-reqs at CC, mostly it's just the science pre-reqs that can come into question. I know USC flat out told me they completely ignore the non-science pre-reqs if you've got a degree.

TBH CC has better teachers than University (imo), and smaller class rooms are very nice.

Anyways I am a Business Admin major so I have taken a handful of basic classes at CC for it, no science classes though, just thought it would not be a big factor since Physics is not on DAT.

Before you take classes at CC, think about what schools you are going to apply first.
From the list you make, find out what schools don't want to see prerequisites taken at CC.

If your top choice is Tufts, then forget about CC.

TBH CC has better teachers than University (imo), and smaller class rooms are very nice.

Anyways I am a Business Admin major so I have taken a handful of basic classes at CC for it, no science classes though, just thought it would not be a big factor since Physics is not on DAT.

I agree. Professors in my university were just talking (not teaching) because talking is easier than teaching and it's easy way to earn money.

I took some classes at CC and they were teaching (not just talking).

I took calculus & english at a CC during the summer because it is a LOT cheaper. The schools didn't seem to care... but if you can, take your science courses at a university.

I only did Physics at a cc, got A's, and I was accepted.. But I would call to make sure