Taking physics without calc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPCanada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am an nontraditional student. I finished my Bachelors degree in USA and I moved back to Canada, now working and taking classes to take MCAT and apply to Medical school.

I am taking classes part time (currently cell bio and organic chem) and want to take Biochem and Physics next year while I study for the MCAT.
But I know that in Canada Physics is calc-based (in USA they have algebra-based calc as official 1st year Physics as well as calc-based). I took Calc I back in my old university but they had a quarter system instead of the semester system and the credits did not transfer through here. It was only a 10 week class too (quarter system works in 10 week periods) I asked 2 local universities to evaluate my credits when I was looking for a school to take my science classes but both did not accept the math credit.

I also took calc I way back 6 years ago so I don't remember much from the class.

Should I retake Calc I before taking Physics I or take them at the same time?? Math is not my strongest suit (I had a 3.5/4.0 for Calc I back in my old university) so I am not even thinking of taking Calc II.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont think medical schools cared what you took. Just destroy the class and destroy the MCAT. They have no way of knowing if Western's Physics 101 is harder than Queens Physics 13045. There is no way they will look at the circulum and compare. I suggest pick an easier one, and destroy it. Trade off being your "less" prepared for MCAT physics.

My 2 cents.

I dont think medical schools cared what you took. Just destroy the class and destroy the MCAT. They have no way of knowing if Western's Physics 101 is harder than Queens Physics 13045. There is no way they will look at the circulum and compare. I suggest pick an easier one, and destroy it. Trade off being your "less" prepared for MCAT physics.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply! Do you think I should just take Calc 1 and then attempt to do both physics 1 and 2??
I am not sure how well I would do on the MCAT without taking any physics (did take grade 12 physics though) so I do want to take physics just to improve my chance.

MCAT Physics doesnt require Calc. Do the one with minimum calc..

MCAT Physics when i took it was basic math.. b/c they needed you to finish the question in a minute or so.