Taking pre-req Physics at a CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLaughLove15

Happiness is family.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've already searched the forums, but none of them cover my situation.

I'm currently a Junior at a Cal State University and I'm enrolled in the first course of a 3-quarter Physics series. The professor is absolutely horrible to the point that probably half of the class has filed a complaint with the physics department.

I heard someone say that the local JC offers physics courses that transfer to my college but I'm worried about med schools not counting the credit towards my pre-reqs because it wasn't taken at my university.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to question A's. Get an A, you'll be chill. Anything else, since you go to a 4-year, would be questionable. Even gettin an A is questionable right? Adcoms will wonder why didn't you take it at your own university.

But if you get an A, imo, you'll be chill.

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools explicitly say not to take prereqs at a cc if you are still undergoing your undergrad. to see what schools, you would have to look.

a few do not count it. most frown upon it.

Are you going to drop and get a W at the CSU and then retake it at the CC?

My med school is fine with it. Most are not...but if you get an A, then that will shut them up. However, you will have to get a W in the one you are in now and then it will look like you were running from Physics at the 4yr.

So, now you have a situation.....:(

I would still drop and take at the CC (pending approval from schools you want to attend).

It will look like you're running from a hard course. Only drop it if you risk getting a D or F. If you get a C, consider retaking it and improving your original grade.

CC is fine if that is where you started your college career before transferring to a 4 year. Even then, though, it is not a great idea to take all of your pre reqs at the CC before transferring to the 4 year.

CC is OK, but not preferred, if you are a nontrad taking the pre reqs at a CC instead of 4 year.

CC is not OK for pre reqs if you are otherwise enrolled at a 4 year and you are taking these classes to dodge a bullet...and you fall in this latter category.