Taking prereqs in order to transfer from CC to UG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm in a dilemma right now regarding my situation. So I am currently a sophomore at a CC in California. I am taking Organic Chemistry 1, Bio 2, and Physics 1. So I have already completed gen Chem 1/2, calc 1/2, and bio 1.

Unfortunately, to be able to transfer to a UC in my state, being that I am a biology major, j have to finish the lower division courses. These include the gen Chem sequence, calc sequence , bio sequence with PHYSICS sequence being recommended but not required.

I am currently taking physics 1 along with my final bio and Ochem 1 class, and wanted to know if I should drop out of the physics(I won't get a W) and save it till I transfer next year? I didn't want to do that in the first place because it would put back my mcat studying and I wanted to go in a transitional path!

However, if it means increasing my chances to med schools, I am willing to do that. Any input will greatly help me right now.

@Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn @WedgeDawg
@LizzyM

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please guys, any advice would really help me. I'm so stressed and paranoid right now of what to do :(

After you transfer to UC, you'll take a lot of upper division courses. For example, UCLA requires one BioChem, 6 more upper-div biology(2 Lec,2 Lab,2 more elective), & 3 more upper division (mostly any Bio/Molecular&Cell Bio/Chem/Math/BioStats/etc). So you'll have plenty of upper courses to prove yourself. Also, you can do well and bump up your BCPM GPA: as you take more Bio,Chem,Physics or Math.

Pretty sure you are fine- I've read plenty of posts that said it's okay to take CC courses that overlaps with Med school requirement. And you can take all of them, if you are majoring in something that require that many courses. You don't have anything to worry about. You have upper division courses to prove yourself. And Med schools won't punish you for pursuing Bio major.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
YW
Just curious, how are your BCPM grades?

Well so far I did gem Chem. 1/2, calc 1/2, gen bio 1( molecular). I have all A's and one B in gen Chem. 1 my very first semester . I also have all A's in all GE. I have a 3.88 after freshman year with that one B in gen Chem 1. I hope I'm on the right track :/

Last edited:
BCPM GPA is kind of like your Major GPA for UC as Bio major. Bio majors all across UCs require same requirements for most med schools. That's why I asked: I was curious about your Major GPA.
What I'm saying is, your major GPA is probably around 3.8-3.85. This is a competitive major GPA for UCLA or UC Berkeley as Bio major. You'll get accepted. You are sitting well close to 75th percentile.
Impacted majors like Bio, Chem, Bio Chem, Psychbio, NeuroSci, all Engineering and etc cares more about how you do in major preparation. Currently, you have a really good shot at UCB and UCLA!!
Thank god I am a Geography major. Just barely taking GenChem 1 (Chem 101) this semester. Rocking 4.0, but still going to face unavoidable B at chem probably :p
Let's work hard, we will all get accepted to either UCLA or UCB (or USC) :D

Reactions: 1 user
UC will allow you to take physic up there. I transferred to UC and still be able to take ochem and physic up there. But I took it at cc and it worked out fine for me.