Taking science courses as a pass fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AznSeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

What do medical schools think of taking certain science classes as pass/fail? My reasoning is I already completed the pre-med prereqs and gotten As and most of my major classes with an A. Next semester, I'm taking Cell Biology and Vertebrate Development as normal A/B/C grading classes but I want to take Human Anatomy and Physiology as an elective. The class is notoriously difficult, but it's not required for my major (Zoology, since i've already taken comparative anatomy).

Would medical schools look down on me for taking it as pass/fail? What about other science electives im interested in like Immunology or Parasitology?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this too b/c my school's gen chem labs were all pass/fail. That was the only option. .

Hello

What do medical schools think of taking certain science classes as pass/fail? My reasoning is I already completed the pre-med prereqs and gotten As and most of my major classes with an A. Next semester, I'm taking Cell Biology and Vertebrate Development as normal A/B/C grading classes but I want to take Human Anatomy and Physiology as an elective. The class is notoriously difficult, but it's not required for my major (Zoology, since i've already taken comparative anatomy).

Would medical schools look down on me for taking it as pass/fail? What about other science electives im interested in like Immunology or Parasitology?
I'd advise you not to pursue that class as P/F. The committees like to see how you actually performed, especially in the sciences. If you take it as a P/F course, a minimum passing grade is equal to a 100. Perhaps LizzyM will drop by and give her two cents, as I'm just an MS0 at the moment and am merely repeating what I've heard from my colleagues, mentors, and advisors.
I'm curious about this too b/c my school's gen chem labs were all pass/fail. That was the only option. .
Your case is definitely an outlier. You didn't specifically request they be P/F; and they're labs, not the entire course. You're fine. Don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd advise you not to pursue that class as P/F. The committees like to see how you actually performed, especially in the sciences. If you take it as a P/F course, a minimum passing grade is equal to a 100. Perhaps LizzyM will drop by and give her two cents, as I'm just an MS0 at the moment and am merely repeating what I've heard from my colleagues, mentors, and advisors.

Your case is definitely an outlier. You didn't specifically request they be P/F; and they're labs, not the entire course. You're fine. Don't sweat it.

:thumbup:

Just my experience, but I only took a few electives pass/fail. I wanted grades in all my sciences.

If its not a pre-req I dont think it will matter much. However it would be better to have an A then to have a P

I've not heard anyone really care too much about courses taken pass/fail. If you've done well in sciences and are protecting your gpa... shrug... no one cares.