Taking Science Prereqs in the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Dental Schools frown upon if you take a science class like for example Bio 1 over the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

The content/lecture time for regular semester and summer are identical.

it's not frowned upon, they just care to see you can handle pre-reqs with your normal full-time course load during a semester. Taking one pre-req won't hurt during the summer... do what you have to do to get good grades/high gpa

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do Dental Schools frown upon if you take a science class like for example Bio 1 over the summer?
You think AdComs have enough time/care enough to go through each individual application and assess whether a student maximized their course load/rigor? All they care about is whether you fulfilled the pre-req. They are not going to spend all day analyzing one application and make inferences about whether you intentionally avoided classes. LOL

the application AdComs evaluate is exactly the one you see when you download your application on AADSAS. Your GPA will be broken down based on several things but in no way will taking a course in the summer affect your application.

Reactions: 3 users
I might recommend against taking one of your major prereqs during the summer unless you’re really on top of things. Due to the increased pace of receiving material/tests, students more often do poorly in summer courses, just fyi.

I took 12 credits of Pre-reqs in my last summer semester to finish them up. Definitely tough but doable. Three of these courses were for labs though.