Taking sections individually

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabadr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking test in sections...like one day ill take PS and the next day VR and so on. Does this significantly alter my results? I would think that my adrenaline will be so high on test day that getting tired wont be a factor. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been taking test in sections...like one day ill take PS and the next day VR and so on. Does this significantly alter my results? I would think that my adrenaline will be so high on test day that getting tired wont be a factor. Any thoughts?

Don't count on it. You definitely want to take the practice tests as much as possible in their full-length format, with the breaks timed as they would be in real life, to replicate the test conditions as much as possible. This will tell you long in advance whether fatigue is a problem for you on the later sections, and will also help you build up your stamina as you go along.

For section practice, use the materials provided by your test prep company. Kaplan provides standalone practice versions of the individual MCAT sections, along with full-length practice tests. BR's books have "chapter tests" that are 70 questions long, which is actually a bit longer than a real MCAT section. These are good for warming up on specific topics before taking on the full-length practice tests (save them for the end).

It most definitly would, IMO. MCAT is a test of your ability to maintain focus for long period of time (5 hours to be exact). Your mind starts to wander off after the VR section. So you should definitly force yourself to do 5 hours tests.