Taking Social Science and Humanities Courses Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RackingHorse

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After reading a post below, I just realized that I may have made a huge mistake and I am freaking out. As you all know most veterinary colleges require you to have 2 units of English and several hours of humanities courses to be considered for admission. Here is my problem; I have taken English 1, Sociology, and Public Speaking online. Do you think they an adcom is going to look negatively at this? I had never thought about this before now. I would never consider taking a science course online, because I feel like that would be stupid as you have to do labs. Anyone have any experience with this? I hope and pray I don't have to retake those classes!!!
 
I'm confused. How did you take public speaking on-line? As for the other two classes why does it matter if they were on-line or on-campus?
 
I'm confused. How did you take public speaking on-line? As for the other two classes why does it matter if they were on-line or on-campus?

The public speaking class that I took online consisted of several tests, discussions, and the main part which was filming yourself in front of an audience performing three speeches. I have heard people say that adcoms look negatively at taking pre req classes online. But, hopefully they were only referring to science classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was at community college for my first two years of undergrad I took all of my humanities classes online. Mostly this was to make it so I only had to drive the 50 mile round trip to the college three days a week instead of five. But I got to take a bunch of really cool classes that I wouldn't have had time for otherwise and I got to load up on classes that were relatively easy for me to get A's in. I also managed to pick up an Associate of Arts degree while I was at it, on top of the Associate of Science I was already working towards. I don't know if it affected me positively or negatively once I applied but they never said anything about it and I got in. I think you'll be fine unless a school has specific requirements that the classes must be in-person classes.
 
Thanks for the reply Elliegirl. I have seen on some CVM websites restrictions regarding online classes. However, I think they maybe referring to classes that have a lab.
 
What are the different schools that people applied to (and got accepted?) with online humanities classes. UGA says I can take them online, so I will take two or three humanities classes online, but I was wondering if anybody KNOWS of schools that accept or don't accept online humanities classes. Of course, I will ask admissions for every school if I want to apply to them, but just to get me in a direction..
 
I have been taking animal science classes and other "harder" classes in person. But, I just find it easy to take the humanities classes online during the summer. This way frees up a lot of time to do job shadowing and other stuff that needs doing. I am thinking that the science pre reqs are the classes that adcoms dont want you to take online.
 
That's why I want to take my humanities classes online over the summer. And my brain will have to keep working and I won't have such a hard time getting back into studying. I want to do my prerequisites in three years and sometimes it would be very difficult to make a schedule that will work with my labs and such and that way I don't need to worry about fitting those classes into my schedule.
 
I emailed UT last night. I got a reply this morning. They said it was fine to take humaities/social sciences online.