Taking Step 1 during my first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacroph

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I took and did well on my Step 1 during my first year, would I be able to receive an exemption from certain courses? Would I be able to start my rotations soon after instead of traditionally waiting until the third year? Would appreciate polite and well-informed answers as its been wracking my mind.
I studied in Europe and have taken biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, etc. prior to attending a U.S. university.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I took and did well on my Step 1 during my first year, would I be able to receive an exemption from certain courses? Would I be able to start my rotations soon after instead of traditionally waiting until the third year? Would appreciate polite and well-informed answers as its been wracking my mind.
I studied in Europe and have taken biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, etc. prior to attending a U.S. university.

Thank you.

That would be a question for your school but I doubt any school would allow that. There's more to medical school than just Step 1 relevant material.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably highly unlikely a school would exempt/give you credit. I guess only your school would know... Have you asked them about this? Also, many schools require you to pass a NBME/CBSE exam before taking Step 1 and I think in order to register with the NBME to schedule a Step 1 you need certification/permission from most, if not all, medical schools.

Your school has to approve you to take step you wouldn't be able to do it

That would be a question for your school but I doubt any school would allow that. There's more to medical school than just Step 1 relevant material.

Thanks for your input.

Probably highly unlikely a school would exempt/give you credit. I guess only your school would know... Have you asked them about this? Also, many schools require you to pass a NBME/CBSE exam before taking Step 1 and I think in order to register with the NBME to schedule a Step 1 you need certification/permission from most, if not all, medical schools.

Thanks for your informative post. I will make calls and inquire about this further.
I was curious if anyone on this forum has had these questions answered or been through this process before.