Taking Step 2 late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was planning to take step 2 this month, but now am seriously considering delaying it. I don't feel adequately prepared, and I don't want to risk taking it and doing worse than my step 1. I was hoping to take step 2 early and rock it, but that seems unlikely to happen right now so I'm thinking about postponing it to Nov (when I will have more time to study).

My question is, will not having a strong step 2 CK score available in Sep hurt me for peds if I am otherwise a solid but average applicant? I got a lot of passes in my first 2 years, clinical years have been all near honors and honors so far. My step 1 score was average (literally, the national average in the year I took it). I have a couple interesting volunteer activities but no research. I will probably not rank very highly in my class, mostly due to my sub-par performance the first 2 years. I'm interested in a few competitive programs (Stanford, Northwestern, Boston, Denver) and I'm scared that by not rocking step 2 now I won't have a chance at these. 🙁