Taking step 2 without taking pediatrics rotation...Bad idea??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackberry13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking my step 2 exam before my pediatrics rotation. I will be done with the rest of my rotations by middle of May. I then want to take a month to study for Step 2. I need the rest of the summer for a research fellowship I am doing. Is it fine if I push my pediatrics rotation till M4 year? I want to do very well on Step 2 (235+), so will one month and no pediatrics rotation be enough to score well? Please let me know. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually took step 2 without having completed peds and obs/gyn rotation and still managed to score very well on step 2. I studied medicine in London and my school schedules peds and obs/gyn during the 4th year :/

I used FA, UW, and Secrets and I found all the information required to sit step 2 was sufficient in those resources. I put about 4 weeks of work on step 2 while still working on my clerkship (British schools don't give you a minute to study for the American boards).

Best of luck!