Taking Step 3 prior to starting residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurc2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a MS4 and have a ton of free time until I graduate. I have been doing Uworld for step 3 and scoring in the upper 60s-low 70s. I plan to finish this semester and take the exam sometime in June prior to starting residency in July. Has anyone done this and do you think this is a good idea to get it out of the way? I know most people take the exam near the end of intern year.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the time to study and feel confident doing it, then I don't see why not. All you have to do is pass at this point. Nobody cares what your Step 3 score is.

I took it during the latter half of my intern gen surg year when I was on an elective endoscopy rotation for a month, which gave me time to study and catch up on sleep. It's been about 10 years since I took it, but having practical knowledge from being on the job did made it a bit easier to get through the test IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have the time to study and feel confident doing it, then I don't see why not. All you have to do is pass at this point. Nobody cares what your Step 3 score is.

I took it during the latter half of my intern gen surg year when I was on an elective endoscopy rotation for a month, which gave me time to study and catch up on sleep. It's been about 10 years since I took it, but having practical knowledge from being on the job did made it a bit easier to get through the test IMO.
Thanks! Yea I have a ton of time to study (been sleeping a lot and doing UWorld for a month now). I still have 5 months to study at my own pace. I feel that, that extra time will make up for the lack of on-the-job knowledge. At least that's my theory.

Yeah, the questions weren't that much harder that if you have the time, then you should be fine. Don't be like some of my colleagues who put it off until their final year of residency (this was in NY where we weren't required to have our own state training license).

The old joke I recall for time to study for each Step exam was "2 months, 2 weeks, #2 pencil". Meaning you didn't have to put that much thought into prepping for the final one after 4 years of grinding away in med school and starting residency.

Reactions: 2 users
I took step 3 one week after graduating medical school and it was a great decision. I was very happy to not have it lurking in the background. My residency program even paid for it, of course I arranged that ahead of time.

Reactions: 1 users
I took step 3 one week after graduating medical school and it was a great decision. I was very happy to not have it lurking in the background. My residency program even paid for it, of course I arranged that ahead of time.
Wow not having to pay or it is even better! My main concern is to not have that lurking in the back of my mind and wanted to take it while everything is fresh.

I took it in the beginning of PGY2. I thought having first year under my belt was helpful, but I am also not a very strong test-taker. How do you have so much free time as an MS4? I remember that year being a lot easier and kind of an 8-5 M-F for most rotations especially the last 4-5 months, but I don't remember having THAT much free time.

I took it in the beginning of PGY2. I thought having first year under my belt was helpful, but I am also not a very strong test-taker. How do you have so much free time as an MS4? I remember that year being a lot easier and kind of an 8-5 M-F for most rotations especially the last 4-5 months, but I don't remember having THAT much free time.
I basically didn't do anything from Match day til graduation bc I took electives that didn't require my physical presence during interview season and got credit for them. Our school gave generous time off for interviews.

I basically didn't do anything from Match day til graduation bc I took electives that didn't require my physical presence during interview season and got credit for them. Our school gave generous time off for interviews.

Oh man, your post just reminded me that I actually had a full month off in second half of 4th year. I had elective radiology and heme/onc outpatient rotations back to back at a satellite health system and was assigned to one attending for each. They both conveniently had two week vacations planned - rads the last two weeks of my rotation there and heme/onc the first two weeks in that rotation. They both told me they wouldn't tell if I didn't tell. :rofl: That was a good month!

My school was the same. Once we got past third year, it was cruise control to graduation. Other than two required rotations, the rest of fourth year was essentially elective time. Sure, there was the stress of interviews, but I had a lot more enjoyment on rotations I was actually interested in.

Woah! How were you able to manage that? I know that some residency programs will pay for Step 3 or study materials but I thought that you actually had to start residency before that.

Also, how do you like UWorld for Step 3? Is it enough? Should I invest in CCS online programs? I also would like to take Step 3 before or near the beginning of residency. I would like to not have to worry about it during the intern year.

Woah! How were you able to manage that? I know that some residency programs will pay for Step 3 or study materials but I thought that you actually had to start residency before that.

Also, how do you like UWorld for Step 3? Is it enough? Should I invest in CCS online programs? I also would like to take Step 3 before or near the beginning of residency. I would like to not have to worry about it during the intern year.
Keep in mind this was almost a decade ago. But the residency program I went to would cover step 3. I asked them if they would reimburse me if I took it before I got there and they said yes… simple as that.
I remember studying the mostly same materials I used for step 2 and it was fine but that may have changed since then.

I am a MS4 and have a ton of free time until I graduate. I have been doing Uworld for step 3 and scoring in the upper 60s-low 70s. I plan to finish this semester and take the exam sometime in June prior to starting residency in July. Has anyone done this and do you think this is a good idea to get it out of the way? I know most people take the exam near the end of intern year.
The main issue is scheduling it because you can't get your scheduling permit until you graduate, and it's a tight turn around to find an open date before you start residency orientation.

Reactions: 4 users
The main issue is scheduling it because you can't get your scheduling permit until you graduate, and it's a tight turn around to find an open date before you start residency orientation.
Good point! I would hope that it would be fairly easy to schedule Step 3 early in your intern year. Or is scheduling Step 3 difficult to do in intern year? I would really appreciate hearing residents'/program directors' insights/experiences on this.

Good point! I would hope that it would be fairly easy to schedule Step 3 early in your intern year. Or is scheduling Step 3 difficult to do in intern year? I would really appreciate hearing residents'/program directors' insights/experiences on this.
Program dependent. I took mine in February while I was on my newborn rotation--there was another intern on with me, so we just covered the whole list when the other was out. Many of my co-residents took it during ED because the scheduling worked out okay. The interns at my current institution take it during one of their elective months. Programs are usually accommodating bc you need it to get licensed. But I wouldn't plan on taking it during an inpatient rotation bc 1) you won't have time to study and 2) it puts extra work on your co-residents if you're out. You should get your schedule within a month after match day, so you'll have a sense of when you can take it then. The chiefs or other program leadership can usually help find time to schedule as well.

FM intern here. I took mine before starting residency and I am always relieved that I do not have that hanging over my head when I hear the rest of my class talking about having to take it. I need at least two months of solid study time in order to perform well on the STEP exams, so I knew I had a better chance of passing it before intern year than during or after it.

I had 10 weeks off for interviews then came back to two extremely chill outpatient rotations. I'm talking half day with no weekends and basically just shadowing. The last three months we basically have residency bookcamp which is a ton of zoom lectures and activities. I am already halfway through UWorld for step 3. I'm really loving this right now, not gonna lie.

If you're scoring 65% correct, you should be fine to take Step 3 and I definitely recommend that you do.

The last three months we basically have residency bookcamp which is a ton of zoom lectures and activities.
Wish I would have had that! First 6 months of intern year suuuuuuucked for me because most of the last 6 months of 4th year was shadowing outpatient specialty docs and not using my brain much. It took some time to reacclimate myself to 80 hour work weeks and taking ownership of medical decision making.

Do it OP. I took step 3 near the beginning of intern year. As long as you have studied for it you should be fine.

I would highly recommend it if possible.
Took Step 3 shortly after graduation with the goal that I did not want to have to worry about it during the busy residency period. I'm also the type that after a day of work I cannot study effectively.

Didn't have to worry about it like my peers.
I treated it that score would matter since fellowships can still use it as a comparison measure.
That last part is up to you.

It can be good idea depending on what your goals are. Do you see any significant advantage in getting Step 3 out of the way now as opposed to later this winter? If your field isn't FM/EM that delves into all the material of Step 3, you're better off getting it done within the first year so the ancillary material doesn't slide away. I have heard of many programs moving to make it an academic requirement to get it done earlier than later. On the other hand, doing it during intern year is very feasible. The question is what do you plan on doing during PGY-1 that will compete with that time slot? If the answer is research projects or focusing on clinical work, you may benefit from getting it done early.

In terms of your UWorld score, that's good. Do some UWSAs and NBMEs (you know the drill) and make your judgement. I think it's doable. I am willing to bet you are probably a good test-taker at baseline (hence your affinity to doing Step 3 during 4th year) so you shouldn't have issues. For myself, I benefited from clinical experience prior but there's a lot of ways to earn the points on Step 3. The general trend I see in Step 3 scoring is it correlates with prior testing.

Check out a thread I made for it a while back if you need study advice since you're probably one of the few you know in your class doing this.

Last edited:
I'm an opposing opinion. I spent zero minutes of studying for step 3 outside of work and crushed it. It is an easy test after you have done some medicine rotations or an ER rotation. I spent my MS4 biking, working out, spending time with friends, and traveling. I hope you don't waste your free time, you will have precious little your intern year.

But if you want to, it is your choice.

I'm an opposing opinion. I spent zero minutes of studying for step 3 outside of work and crushed it. It is an easy test after you have done some medicine rotations or an ER rotation. I spent my MS4 biking, working out, spending time with friends, and traveling. I hope you don't waste your free time, you will have precious little your intern year.

But if you want to, it is your choice.

Your experience sounds nice, but it seems like OP already bought UW3 and is on track to finish it. I think he's/she's looking at feasibility, not what alternatives he/she is missing out due to studying.

Last edited:
Definitely check with your program if they are able to reimburse any/all of your Step 3 fees. Some may, some won't, and some will not until you actually start. Our institution pays part of the fee, but you have to be in the HR system (a week before July 1). Anything dated before that is not reimbursed at all. Also, we do require that you have Step 3 scores before you can be paid as a PGY2. So if you wait until June of your PGY1 year to take Step 3, you are technically promoted July 1 to PGY2 but will get paid as a PGY1 until we get your scores. So all residents are encouraged to take their tests early in the year. Accommodations are made for the most part; however, the residents are informed by their programs if there are any rotations they flat out cannot take time off for testing.

FYI...there was a time when you could not take Step 3 until after July 1. I am glad that now you have the opportunity to take it early.

I would highly recommend it if possible.
Took Step 3 shortly after graduation with the goal that I did not want to have to worry about it during the busy residency period. I'm also the type that after a day of work I cannot study effectively.

Didn't have to worry about it like my peers.
I treated it that score would matter since fellowships can still use it as a comparison measure.
That last part is up to you.
Hello ak_ps
I'm glad to hear you were able to take Step 3 before residency! I was wondering, do you remember how much time passed between submitting your application and being able to take the exam? Did you graduate in May and take the exam in June? Just want to know if this is really feasible before start studying. I'm also happy to travel to take the exam, as I imagine dates in the Northeast will have been filled up.

Hello ak_ps
I'm glad to hear you were able to take Step 3 before residency! I was wondering, do you remember how much time passed between submitting your application and being able to take the exam? Did you graduate in May and take the exam in June? Just want to know if this is really feasible before start studying. I'm also happy to travel to take the exam, as I imagine dates in the Northeast will have been filled up.

Graduated in May and applied to take step 3 sometime early-mid June. Was able to start scheduling my test mid July but decided to take it first week of September since I had a research year planned ahead while working on residency applications.