Taking the boards with a 16 year gap after residency

Started by Noncere
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Noncere

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I have a family member who graduated from his Peds Residency in the late 90's then did private practice in South America for the past 16 years. He is now returning to the US and would like to take the Peds Boards Exam.

It is too late to register for this year's exam, but he is planning on 2015. Are there any obvious requirements other than paperwork that is necessary for him to take the boards?

Any help and cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
 
Assuming this person never took the boards after residency, the ABP recently made rules that the initial certifying examination in both general pediatrics and subspecialty boards be completed within 7 years of completing training:

https://www.abp.org/ABPWebStatic/indexSearch.html?url=/abpwebsite/becomecert/timeeligibility.htm

I believe if you've passed this time period one has to perform a one year refresher year before being eligible. I didn't read all the points so not sure if they make exceptions to the rule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your replies @JMMH and @Stitch after a day of calling and researching I have found the answer.

  • For physicians who have a 7+ year gap between successfully completing their residency and taking the boards, you must take a 1 year broad-base accredited clinical training. You can find the Q&A quite helpful
I was recommended to seek the resident director of an institution you'd like to "train" in. Have a sample curriculum to follow which will be approved by the APB. There are some guidelines and some leniency as to what exactly the year entails.

Now the task comes down to finding an institution that will actually take you in. Here's to high hopes! Good luck to all in your endeavors!
 
Thank you for your replies @JMMH and @Stitch after a day of calling and researching I have found the answer.

  • For physicians who have a 7+ year gap between successfully completing their residency and taking the boards, you must take a 1 year broad-base accredited clinical training. You can find the Q&A quite helpful
I was recommended to seek the resident director of an institution you'd like to "train" in. Have a sample curriculum to follow which will be approved by the APB. There are some guidelines and some leniency as to what exactly the year entails.

Now the task comes down to finding an institution that will actually take you in. Here's to high hopes! Good luck to all in your endeavors!
I was under the impression one must return to residency.
There are no approved program I know of.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to become Eligible?
Any information will be very helpful.
Thank you.
 
Hello everyone,

I have a family member who graduated from his Peds Residency in the late 90's then did private practice in South America for the past 16 years. He is now returning to the US and would like to take the Peds Boards Exam.

It is too late to register for this year's exam, but he is planning on 2015. Are there any obvious requirements other than paperwork that is necessary for him to take the boards?

Any help and cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

The ABP made it clear that to become Eligible one must do year of clinical rotation- upon further investigation and calling program directors I was told" It must be in an accredited Program".
Any Program director of residency, has to bring into consideration, Coverage for that physician, in NICU, PICU etc.
Let us know what you find.
They made the policy without discussing Program directors at all, now we are the ones to navigate through these " political unclear" policies.
Please unlock the Mystery of:" how to become Eligible again."
 
I sent over 50 emails to Program Directors last week. As responses come in there are no programs nor implemented curricula. And because the ABP did not make this mandatory, most have no plans on implementing such training. Im hitting dead ends
 
There are a couple of peds prelim programs available. If you're in that much of a bind and can't get anyone to make a position for you, that might be an option that fulfills the ABP criteria.
 
It almost seems like the ABP didn't really think this through. You can't take the boards and no one will allow you to fulfill the requirement to take the boards. My guess is people are just going to go uncertified, which doesn't really solve anything from a public relations or insurance of competency standpoint. Anyone have any insight into their thinking??
 
There are a couple of peds prelim programs available. If you're in that much of a bind and can't get anyone to make a position for you, that might be an option that fulfills the ABP criteria.
Hi, what are these types of programs, where could I get more info on these thanks!

It almost seems like the ABP didn't really think this through. You can't take the boards and no one will allow you to fulfill the requirement to take the boards. My guess is people are just going to go uncertified, which doesn't really solve anything from a public relations or insurance of competency standpoint. Anyone have any insight into their thinking??
Yeah most jobs want you to be BC/BE because their insurance requires it. Very tough and narrow spot we found ourselves in. What's even worse is that the ABP will not disclose which institution has already accepted physicians in this year-long training. It's up to me to call all 212 accredited institutions.
 
if you get a full license, can you apply to open peds PGY2, PGY3 spots? or some sort of noncompetitive fellowship training?
 
Last edited:
I'm just a medical student so feel free to ignore this but maybe you can try emailing the new residency programs. Those programs may not have "seniors" - eg they have a brand new class of interns or second years - and they may appreciate someone there with your training and experience to act as a de facto senior resident (even if officially you're a pgy-1 or however they want to pay you) for the new interns to make life a little easier for the attendings. I'm guessing you'll have to work very hard but I think that might be a good option?
 
Hi, what are these types of programs, where could I get more info on these thanks!.

They are like a medicine or surgery preliminary year, except focused on pediatrics. You'd be an intern, but most interns rotate through the NICU, outpatient rotations, and inpatient rotations, so it might fulfill the ABP requirements.

http://www.pedsderm.net/sections/PedsPrelimYear.php are the programs that offer it.
 
It almost seems like the ABP didn't really think this through. You can't take the boards and no one will allow you to fulfill the requirement to take the boards. My guess is people are just going to go uncertified, which doesn't really solve anything from a public relations or insurance of competency standpoint. Anyone have any insight into their thinking??

Yeah, it certainly seems like a short-sighted move on the ABP's part. I do know of one program that has taken someone on, but it's a PCP from the local community who is well known to the residency program; they're not accepting others whom have no connection to the program. She's lucky that her local program took her on, but it sounds like most others in the same boat as her won't be as lucky. This is motivating me even further to study hard for my upcoming boards...
 
Yeah, it certainly seems like a short-sighted move on the ABP's part. I do know of one program that has taken someone on, but it's a PCP from the local community who is well known to the residency program; they're not accepting others whom have no connection to the program. She's lucky that her local program took her on, but it sounds like most others in the same boat as her won't be as lucky. This is motivating me even further to study hard for my upcoming boards...
Would you happen to know which institution this is? I'd like to ask what curriculum has been accepted so I can therefore use it as a template when I inquire potential programs!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to ask what curriculum has been accepted so I can therefore use it as a template when I inquire potential programs!
2 months of inpatient wards, 2 months of NICU, 2 months of ED, 3 months of clinic, and 3 months of electives. No PICU (because ED/NICU count for the "care of critically ill children" requirement).