Taking the DAT once, or twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it best to get all done in one shot? Do re-takes look bad for admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Retakes do not look bad as long as you improve your scores. Ideally one would want to get the test done in one shot with 30's across the board, but...yah. :p

People have off-days. Retakes are fine as long as improvement is present.

Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing what was already said, retake is not a problem, but you definitely want to improve. Won't look good if you don't. That said, don't plan on retaking. Plan to do great the first time.

by keeping in mind that you can retake the test if necessary, it could help you relax on your first (and hopefully only) take of the test. less stress = you might do better :)

by keeping in mind that you can retake the test if necessary, it could help you relax on your first (and hopefully only) take of the test. less stress = you might do better :)

Exactly, this is a great mindset to be in. I went in actually kinda expecting to have to retake it, and it really made me feel much less stressed while I was taking the test - and I ended up doing amazing.

Is it best to get all done in one shot? Do re-takes look bad for admissions?

It is definitely best to get it done in one go!!! Who would want to suffer through all that studying again if it could be avoided??!! :p

Exactly, this is a great mindset to be in. I went in actually kinda expecting to have to retake it, and it really made me feel much less stressed while I was taking the test - and I ended up doing amazing.

I disagree. I think some stress makes you perform better, at least for me. That might work for some people, but I don't think you should be in the mindset of "Well it doesn't matter if I do bad this time," because then you're liable to be too relaxed. Guess it depends on the person.

I disagree. I think some stress makes you perform better, at least for me. That might work for some people, but I don't think you should be in the mindset of "Well it doesn't matter if I do bad this time," because then you're liable to be too relaxed. Guess it depends on the person.

True, everyone works differently, but being too stressed risks not being able to have a clear head when you need it - you don't want to get yourself so worked up that when you have 10 minutes left of QR you're just freaking out. I actually expected to do quite bad, but ended up doing quite well, and I think being able to feel less stress is what really helped me.