PhD/PsyD Taking the EPPP as a diabetic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardamom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a long shot, but anyone here have T1 diabetes and have taken the EPPP? Or know someone who did? If so, how did you/they handle needing to keep tabs on/possibly respond to your/their blood sugar during the exam? I'm planning to call the potential test center in advance of scheduling, since I'm sure I'm far from the first person who needs this, but I figured I'd see if anyone has suggestions/things that worked for them first. I would really prefer to be able to take my meter, low blood sugar supplies, and insulin pen into the testing room with me, but as long as I can keep it all in the locker, that would be acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Here’s the list of approved accommodations (linked from the EPPP registration portal), I think any other exceptions need your state board’s approval:
https://home.pearsonvue.com/Documents/Accommodations/Comfort-aids-(2)/pvue_comfort_aids.aspx

Here’s a quote that may be relevant:
“Medical device: Must be attached to a person’s body, must be inaudible, and must not include a remote-control device. Examples include but are not limited to:
-Insulin pump
-Continuous glucose monitor
-Note: If the insulin pump or continuous glucose monitor includes an accompanying remote-control device, the remote-control device may not be taken into the testing room. If there is a need to take the remote-control device into the testing room, Candidates must apply and be approved for an accommodation to do so.
-TENS Unit
-Spinal Cord Stimulator”

I took the exam very recently (I PASSED!), and they do allow you to access your locker whenever you need (obviously they are watching you the whole time). The staff told me I was allowed to take medications if needed during unscheduled breaks. I assume based on that list you should be okay with your meter with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would contact your state board - I have an indeitfied disabilyt and with some bit of work was able to gain extra time for the EPPP which was a big help. The board has actually been very supportive through the process. Knowing I could take needed breaks to accomodate disability was helpful so it is worth a shot. Better to go through the board tho rather than just Pearson as if you get the accommodations the scheduling is different and Pearson does not approve/disapprove without the Board first.