Taking the highest MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itaboutTIME

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Im at the crossroads guys, and need some advice. I scored the highest my first time around and it wasnt great, 28Q with an 8 in VR. I took it again and the last time I got a 27R 11/6/10 R. I know these scores are not competitive to say the least, but I want to still try and apply. I have great EC's, decent GPA (~3.5), and a good story (non-trad). Im applying to DO's but Ive decided to apply to MD programs so I wont regret not doing it later. Ive been trying to research the admissions views on multiple MCATs and which score or scores they focus on more. For example NYMC looks at the last score with the most importance while others from what Ive heard look at the highest. I cant find too much information on this on school websites, accept for NYMC and UCD (they look at everything). Should I expect that the majority will look at the whole subset of MCATs and/or the latest one, or do any of you guys know the otherwise (looking at the highest score). Thanks for the help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

most schools will look at the newest scores I believe. Some schools take the highest per section (very few). Some average.

However, most schools will see that your scores went down. I know of people that this has happened to, and, well, not the happiest of endings there.

thanks for the reply, I wasnt expecting a miracle :(, but i guess you have to work with what you have. Anyone else have any other schools they know that look at scores in non traditional manners.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools will look at the newest scores I believe. Some schools take the highest per section (very few). Some average.

However, most schools will see that your scores went down. I know of people that this has happened to, and, well, not the happiest of endings there.

Well only his verbal went down (at least I'm assuming that's what the 6 is), and the overall score didn't change much. Generally a 30+ is considered competitive for MD schools though. If I were in that position I'd probably go DO, because they don't emphasize test scores as much. Given extra time and money I'd go for MD schools of below average competitiveness in terms of test scores, but even then I'd watch out for minimum requirements (e.g. some schools require a 24 MCAT and at least an 8 in each section, IIRC).

i think GWU takes the highest from each sections (which would help you)

thanks for the honest comments folks and right on for the GW tip witness

Some schools take the highest per section (very few).

Yeah, MSU is the only school i've ever heard of that will take the highest from each section.

Edit: I didn't know GWU did this too, thanks for the info.

I never knew schools like MSU did that.... thanks for letting me know

what's MSU? michigan state?

GW does it, I think Oregeon Health Sciences or whatever does it...

Yea Michigan State University...Oregan does this too...Its interesting, i had a friend of mine (not URM) who was in a similar situation and he got into MSU, OHSU and UCD....very very interesting

Yea Michigan State University...Oregan does this too...Its interesting, i had a friend of mine (not URM) who was in a similar situation and he got into MSU, OHSU and UCD....very very interesting

what were his highest MCAT subscores?

MSU and OHSU are public schools, though, so I'm thinking their cheap MCAT tactics don't really help most applicants. I looked them up in MSAR and they don't seem particularly friendly to OOSers. you'll find some public schools that still seem to interview a high amount of OOSers, but those 2 don't seem to fit that picture.

SUNY-Buffalo on their website say they look at whatever the highest overall score was within the acceptable time period.

what were his highest MCAT subscores?

MSU and OHSU are public schools, though, so I'm thinking their cheap MCAT tactics don't really help most applicants. I looked them up in MSAR and they don't seem particularly friendly to OOSers. you'll find some public schools that still seem to interview a high amount of OOSers, but those 2 don't seem to fit that picture.

I think his scores were just under mine with a 27?. He did indeed receive offers to attend. I can tell you this much, he had a lot more to offer than his scores or GPA. I understand that scores and GPA are a way to narrow out the applicant pool, without it this process would be damn near impossible. Its true, actually really true that if you can achieve those desirable numbers you can get into a medical school. However, I've know a number of people who werent in that category (low numbers both GPA and MCAT) and still got into great programs. Its cliche when I say this but its so true, numbers arent everything even at allopathic programs. In my case Im not looking for a miracle and I know what my odds are, but those are just odds. You cant crap out until you roll. :xf: good luck everyone...

sorry you asked for subset, i think it was P10 V7 B10, i think and this was his second time taking it

Generally they take the highest of the all your scores...but they'll still see both and take it into account. Going down one point isn't a big deal, but it shows that your first score wasn't necessarily a fluke.