Quantcast

Taking the MCAT 3x

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lane113 said:
Does anybody know how schools look at applicants who took the MCAT 3x, especially if the third MCAT is significantly higher than the first two? What are the chances of getting an acceptance from an MD school granted that the other aspects of the applications are really good?

If the 3rd is significantly higher, they will see your ability to improve. That is good. They will also see you willingness to "do what it takes" as well as your perserverance, dedication and determination. Don't worry about how they will look at it beyond this. Just focus on scoring well on the third test. :luck:

uclakid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know someone who took it 3x. she got into UC irvine, U of chicago, and some other places i can't remember. she did slightly better the third time. what was most impressive about her is fact that she took that test 3 times!

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took it three time.. just read the profile link ;-) gluck

DubZteR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
lane113 said:
Does anybody know how schools look at applicants who took the MCAT 3x, especially if the third MCAT is significantly higher than the first two? What are the chances of getting an acceptance from an MD school granted that the other aspects of the applications are really good?

I wouldn't worry too much about it especially if the 3rd MCAT is significantly higher. I've written the MCAT 3x myself and the first time I got a 22M. I would say it hasn't affected my application too much. So far 4 interview invites, 1 acceptance. Just be prepared in case you get asked something like "what do you want me to tell the adcom on your behalf regarding your MCAT scores?" In formulating your answer, remember that if your MCAT scores were an issue that you would not be there at the interview.

Good Luck :)

LiNk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What study materials did you use the 3x? I feel as if I've exhausted everything I have- Kaplan books and practice tests, AAMC 2-7, EK Verbal 101. I guess I could buy the EK practice tests and maybe some materials from PR? I'm ok on books for content, I just need more practice tests and problems.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking the MCAT for a third time next April. I took both April and August of this year, and only improved 1 point (1st time = naive; 2nd time = not enough time to study). I'm using the Examkrackers material (I have almost everything they offer, besides the Audio Osmosis), the AAMC practice tests, and a friend's Kaplan material. I'm not worried about how that will look on my app. If schools want to reject me because I busted my ass 3 times to do well on that test, then they can seriously kiss my ass. ;) I really think most schools aren't going to care though. I agree it may come up in an interview, and we should be prepared to answer, but otherwise I don't think it's that bad. Someone posted on another thread that they had taken 6 times and finally got in to med school, so I figure 3 times is nothin'! Best of luck to you, and know that you're not alone! :luck:

lane113

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying everyone. Khenon, you are awesome!! I think we'll both kick a$$ this April.

Khenon

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
lane113 said:
Thanks for replying everyone. Khenon, you are awesome!! I think we'll both kick a$$ this April.
:laugh: Thanks! The great thing about taking that test so many times, is you totally know what to do next time. I mean we're not stupid! If we study hard enough it will pay off. Frankly, I'm expecting low to mid-30's in April. I figure since I've had to work so damned hard for this test, I deserve a super hot score! :laugh: So do you, so keep up the great attitude! We'll do great! :thumbup:

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people who've taken it 3x, 4x, 5x even, dont believe the SDN hype. I took it several times too, and i'm a 1st yr now. Even as u study, dont OVERSTUDY, that can hurt u on the MCAT, learn to understand the test, analyze stuff, it made a big diff on my score.