Taking the MCAT without pre reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rankik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question isn't in regard to whether it is possible to do so, it is more aimed at the material needed to do it. I am planning on getting both the BR and ExamK. for studying, but what I want to know is if these book have enough information in order to learn the material, mainly the chem and bio. Or would I need to buy supplement books to learn the material? Thanks in advance for info on this :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it. There's no point and you will seriously hurt your application. Not to mention you'll waste valuable practice material and put yourself in a horrible position for a retake.

I agree that you shouldn't do it. Most of the MCAT review material is aimed at people who already have some knowledge of the subjects; it most definitely is not appropriate for learning the material for the first time. Why are you in such a hurry to take the test, anyhow? You can't get into med school without the prereqs, so why rush? Take the classes, learn your stuff, and then do the MCAT.

Thank you for your responses in regards to taking the MCAT, but that is not my question and it is not what I am looking for, though I was already expecting such replies. I just needed to know whether the test preq material has enough information to learn the subject or if an actual textbook of the subject is required to obtain full grasp, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen (TPRH and EK), it seems that the material in the prep books is good for review, but might need a textbook supplement for more detail. I've haven't tried BR yet, but I heard that it has a lot of content. not sure if that's enough though. I was considering taking the mcat without my bio req, but now that I think about it, it would be difficult to absorb an entire semester of bio in the 3 months of mcat prep. Also, I heard that bio is the one you shouldn't skip and some people even suggest taking additional classes like biochem for more background.

Thank you for your responses in regards to taking the MCAT, but that is not my question and it is not what I am looking for, though I was already expecting such replies. I just needed to know whether the test preq material has enough information to learn the subject or if an actual textbook of the subject is required to obtain full grasp, thanks.

That shouldn't be the question. The question here is how badly do you want to hurt your application? Rushing into the MCAT like this will result in failure. Additionally, you HAVE to take the pre-reqs for medical school admission. AP credit will not count at some schools for pre-reqs.

Last edited:
That shouldn't be the question. The question here is how badly do you want to hurt your application? Rushing into the MCAT like this will result in failure. Additionally, you HAVE to take the pre-reqs for medical school admission. AP credit will not count at some schools for pre-reqs.

Srsly.

You're asking the wrong question, but still getting the right answer.

This isn't the same thing as taking the SAT in middle school just because you can or for that summer program, etc.

I think that TBR is as close as you'll get to actually teaching you the material. I didn't remember anything from Gchem or physics and I'm doing well now. It did take me 4 months full time but just make sure you supplement with other books. For Bio, I would get TPR biology (the new one linked on the 3 month plan sticky in the first post). It teaches it like you don't know biology and builds it up to mcat level. If you get confused about anything while reading, stop and look it up in more detail.

That said, I advised people at my university who sounded like you do right now. They came to talk to me and yet my advice wasn't good enough. You've got an mcat study expert telling you otherwise so listen to him! SN2ed is very knowledgable about this so don't blow it off. If you don't believe him, look at the 30+ mcat score thread and see what people say in regards to studying and prereqs. Fool of a Took...

Just in case the other replies hasn't resonated with you OP, I'll attempt to hit your natural frequency to knock down your idea of doing well on the MCAT w/o pre-reqs (Just got done with Physics...nerd alert I know). Anyways, I'm certain you'll do poorly if you attempt to take the MCAT without the pre-reqs. You'll waste money to buy the books, waste the good materials, and (most importantly) waste time and confidence. Anyways, BR, TPR, and EK book. Good luck!:luck:

I didnt take any bio courses at all and only had half a year of orgo under my belt when I wrote the MCAT. Studied for 3 months and pulled off a 12 in BS. I just memorized the tpr biological sciences book and did tons of practice. Im taking the bio and orgo now lol. I saved myself one year (starting med school this sept). I recommend you do it if you have the determination to have no life and study.

Of course, I have a 4 year degree in physics. If you dont have a science degree (or have not taken at least several years of science courses), then dont do it.

I agree with everyone that you should not do it. I do believe biology would be the easiest to do well on if you haven't done the pre-reqs. However, if you've never seen or practiced gen chem and physics type problems its going to take some serious time to get comfortable with it. That's one of the main things going into the test is that you not only know the material but know that you know it and are comfortable with it. The main point of the study materials is to REVIEW the information you need to know. As it was said you will need the pre-reqs before med school so why even try. There is a HUGE difference between having worked on the material a year ago for class and having never seen the material. I hadn't taken gen chem for a year but when I went through EK I would always say "O ya I remember this" when starting a new chapter and it came right back with a bit of practice.

I've heard that bio is the one you shouldn't skip (asked Dale from BR when he came to my school). I was originally planning to either follow sn2ed's plan this summer without bio (self study with webcast, old midterms and study group from student center), take bio1a during summer and study at the same time (not recommended) or finish bio and postpone the mcat studying until next year (don't want to wait). I leaning towards the last option. I just realized that you're missing more than 1 prereq. That makes it even harder.