Taking the PCAT without your prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stinson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a returning adult student and will be starting my pre-pharm stuff next summer and fall. I have a background in humanities and so don't have any of the science done. I'm hoping for pharm school in fall '07 which means PCAT in Oct '06 for a lot of schools. I'm concerned though that I'll only be in the middle of my first semester bio and o chem by that time. Is it wise to take the PCAT without bio/o chem? Are the study materials out there sufficient to cover what I'd be missing? :confused: Any input greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't finish my science pre-reqs before I took the PCAT either, but it was okay. Considering that you'll be in the middle of o-chem, you'll likely be fine on the chemistry section since the test doesn't cover much beyond elementary organic. As for bio, I would suggest you pick up one of the PCAT study guides (there are a gazillion threads you can look through to see which study guide best suits you) and study as much bio as you can before the fall '06 exam.

Taking the PCATs without finishing all of your pre-reqs is common and very manageable. You just have to put in extra effort to compensate :thumbup: Good luck with everything!

since i had not even enrolled in ochem when i took mine, i enrolled in the online kaplan-i thought that it helped. it is a lot of $ though :( good luck with everything.