Taking the Same April MCAT in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had read somewhere that the AAMC tries really hard to make the August test of similar difficulty to the April Test. To do a statistical analysis, they will administer (to random students) the
April exam to the August test takers, and see if there was improvement.

Ummm, if that's true, then it is possible for me to RETAKE the April exam in the summer???

Members don't see this ad.

Performance on one test form, during one administration, can be compared validly with performance on another test form taken at a different administration. We accomplish this by using classical equating theory from the field of psychometrics.

Test forms may be used in subsequent administrations. That's one reason for the strict security measures we employ. In each administration, a random sample of examinees, of sufficient size, will be administered test forms previously administered in an August administration, and another random group will be tested with test forms administered in an April administration.

Most repeaters are those who did not perform as well as they thought they should. However, our studies of repeater performance show that there is only a slight score gain for repeaters on the whole. This indicates that the test is reliable.

A much larger number of August examinees are repeaters compared to April examinees. As a result, the mean raw scores for August test-takers are lower than for April test-takers. Therefore, in scaling the scores, this is taken into account."

~John Hackett, Associate Director for MCAT Operations, AAMC, responded to my enquiry concerning this as follows.

Even if this is true, the odds of you getting the same test form are small. At each administration, there are many different forms, and within a single testing room the people on either side of you will have different forms.

These are not just the same questions in a different order; they are often completely different passages. You might have a PS section that is all about waves, optics, sound, and radioactive decay; your neighbor might have projectile motion, collisions, fluids, etc.