Taking upper level courses at CC after completing SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted this in the pre med forum but I thought I'd post here too. For ference, undergrad cGPA of 3.4 sGPA of 3.1. SMP GPA 3.7. First time applying this cycle (2015-2016)

I will (possibly) be a re-applicant come this June 2016. I graduated in 2014 with my B.S. Did my SMP which I completed in 2015 with a significantly better GPA. My SMP was in Pharmacology so the courses were very specific to Pharm, as such I would like to take a few additional upper level bio classes this upcoming summer/possibly year while applying to med schools again.

Unfortunately, finances are an issue, so my question is - is it okay to take upper level bio courses at a CC if I have completed all my prereqs (including Biochem/Genetics) at a 4-year institution?

I know many advise against CC courses for prereqs, but since I have completed my prereqs and an SMP at a 4-year, I'm in a slightly different situation and wanted advice. After looking at MSAR, quite a few schools that I'm interested in (i.e. CMS, Tulane, Drexel, GW, other "lower-tier" med schools) say they DO accept CC credits for biology courses. But I just wanted to get the advice of the all-knowing SDN community.
Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I posted this in the pre med forum but I thought I'd post here too. For ference, undergrad cGPA of 3.4 sGPA of 3.1. SMP GPA 3.7. First time applying this cycle (2015-2016)
I will (possibly) be a re-applicant come this June 2016. I graduated in 2014 with my B.S. Did my SMP which I completed in 2015 with a significantly better GPA. My SMP was in Pharmacology so the courses were very specific to Pharm, as such I would like to take a few additional upper level bio classes this upcoming summer/possibly year while applying to med schools again.
Unfortunately, finances are an issue, so my question is - is it okay to take upper level bio courses at a CC if I have completed all my prereqs (including Biochem/Genetics) at a 4-year institution?
I know many advise against CC courses for prereqs, but since I have completed my prereqs and an SMP at a 4-year, I'm in a slightly different situation and wanted advice. After looking at MSAR, quite a few schools that I'm interested in (i.e. CMS, Tulane, Drexel, GW, other "lower-tier" med schools) say they DO accept CC credits for biology courses. But I just wanted to get the advice of the all-knowing SDN community.
Thanks y'all!
As long as it's not a pre-req, you're fine.

When you write your essays about what you're doing with you application year, it's very easy to add a parenthetical to your classes saying something like, "Due to financial strain" or something of the sort. GL

As long as it's not a pre-req, you're fine.

When you write your essays about what you're doing with you application year, it's very easy to add a parenthetical to your classes saying something like, "Due to financial strain" or something of the sort. GL

Thanks for responding so quickly! Would these courses taken at a CC still be weighted the same as 4-year courses in terms of improving my GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding so quickly! Would these courses taken at a CC still be weighted the same as 4-year courses in terms of improving my GPA? Thanks!

There is absolutely no point in doing this. Your SMP GPA is good; you've proven your academic ability. Both your GPA's are above 3.0 which is the point at which many schools unofficially screen so almost every school you should be applying to wont screen you out. If you dont get into an MD school it wont be because of your grades. CC upper level courses arent going to do anything to change things for you.

Your MCAT score is what matters here alot more as well as your ECs, written parts of your app etc.

There is absolutely no point in doing this. Your SMP GPA is good; you've proven your academic ability. Both your GPA's are above 3.0 which is the point at which many schools unofficially screen so almost every school you should be applying to wont screen you out. If you dont get into an MD school it wont be because of your grades. CC upper level courses arent going to do anything to change things for you.
Your MCAT score is what matters here alot more as well as your ECs, written parts of your app etc.

Thank you for your advice and input. This application cycle, I applied with the GPA I mentioned above and a old MCAT of 30 (10/11/9). I did however apply early, but my primary app was not sent to schools quite late (mid Aug) due to transcript issues, so I was not complete at schools until Sept/Oct (my fault not pre-writing secondaries). I'm planning to retake the MCAT come May and am already scoring in the 510 range on practice tests so I am confidence I will be able to achieve a higher MCAT score come May.

You're right - this application cycle, I was not screened out for any schools aside from a few of the UCs - UCSF, UCLA, and UCI (I'm a CA resident). I was mostly considering taking CC courses because I am concerned about my 3.1 sGPA. In your opinion, would an improved MCAT score and improved ECs be enough? I will be trying my luck at both MD and 2 DO schools in CA this cycle, but would strongly like to increase my chances at MD. Of course, I will not be making the mistake of applying late. Plan to submit my app as soon as the application cycle opens for submission.

Thank you for your advice and input. This application cycle, I applied with the GPA I mentioned above and a old MCAT of 30 (10/11/9). I did however apply early, but my primary app was not sent to schools quite late (mid Aug) due to transcript issues, so I was not complete at schools until Sept/Oct (my fault not pre-writing secondaries). I'm planning to retake the MCAT come May and am already scoring in the 510 range on practice tests so I am confidence I will be able to achieve a higher MCAT score come May.

You're right - this application cycle, I was not screened out for any schools aside from a few of the UCs - UCSF, UCLA, and UCI (I'm a CA resident). I was mostly considering taking CC courses because I am concerned about my 3.1 sGPA. In your opinion, would an improved MCAT score and improved ECs be enough? I will be trying my luck at both MD and 2 DO schools in CA this cycle, but would strongly like to increase my chances at MD. Of course, I will not be making the mistake of applying late. Plan to submit my app as soon as the application cycle opens for submission.

You're fine for DO schools. Did you get any MD IIs this cycle

@GrapesofRath No I did not receive any IIs from MD schools. I applied broadly to all lower tier. That's why I'm unsure what to do to improve my candidacy.

@GrapesofRath No I did not receive any IIs from MD schools. I applied broadly to all lower tier. That's why I'm unsure what to do to improve my candidacy.

Youll probably need to retake that MCAT. Where all did you apply and what are your ECs. Being a reapplicant, if you couldnt get a single II, that means you have a fair amount of work to do to generate MD consideration. Where did you do your SMP: if it's not a reputable program that could explain the lack of success.

Your MCAT is more of a concern than your GPA. A sub-10 on any section just won't be competitive anymore for the majority of applicants.

If you didn't receive any MD II's then I would suggest not applying this year to any, just DO. Take the time while applying to boost your ECs. Then apply the next year if you don't get into any DO programs.

Youll probably need to retake that MCAT. Where all did you apply and what are your ECs. Being a reapplicant, if you couldnt get a single II, that means you have a fair amount of work to do to generate MD consideration. Where did you do your SMP: if it's not a reputable program that could explain the lack of success.

Your MCAT is more of a concern than your GPA. A sub-10 on any section just won't be competitive anymore for the majority of applicants.

If you didn't receive any MD II's then I would suggest not applying this year to any, just DO. Take the time while applying to boost your ECs. Then apply the next year if you don't get into any DO programs.

Sorry if I was unclear, this cycle is my first time applying (2015-2016). So if I reapply for this upcoming cycle, I will be a reapplicant then. I completed my M.S. in Pharm from Tulane. I am definitely planning to retake my MCAT come May/June.

Sorry if I was unclear, this cycle is my first time applying (2015-2016). So if I reapply for this upcoming cycle, I will be a reapplicant then. I completed my M.S. in Pharm from Tulane. I am definitely planning to retake my MCAT come May/June.
Right. But you got ZERO interviews. That means that there are multiple areas of your application that may need improvement. Rushing into reapplying would most likely be a waste of time. Give yourself a year to bolster your MD application. If you don't mind going DO, apply this coming year. Your stats are within range.