Talk to me about Dartmouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janedoe4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone who's applied to Dartmouth med school, considered it, gone there, or otherwise developed strong feelings about the place like to tell me about the school? Dartmouth somehow drifted onto my list of "schools to consider," but I'm still undecided as to whether they're really worth applying to (hey, there are 100-odd med schools in the country and I can't apply to all of them). I know it's small, rural, and pretty decently ranked (whatever that's worth), but would like to know more about atmosphere, any especially strong or weak departments, etc. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have too much insight into the school, but I do know they make you feel very special. I applied there this past year, and was invited to interview. I got countless letters from the admissions department, the dean, etc, all telling me more about the school and providing useful information. I mean, every school sends a letter or two to let you know you've got an interview and maybe give you some info, but Dartmouth went all out. When I went to interview it seemed like that helpful, caring attitude that I saw in their letters applied to everyone's behavior in person as well. I got a really good feeling about the school.

I was very turned off by the location, however. It was way too remote and rural for me, and I couldn't imagine myself living there for 4 years without going stir-crazy. That's really personal preference, though. I like big cities and lots of activity, whereas many other people would love the peacefulness of the setting.

Also, the hospital was INCREDIBLE. It was so beautiful, light, and cheerful, and not at all like most hospitals. It's designed like a mall, with high ceilings, skylights, and overhead walkways (a lot like Arden Mall in Sacramento, for anyone who's been there). I would have loved to spend 3rd and 4th year there, if only it was near a city. Also, the students I spoke with were very happy, and none of them seemed to think the location was too much of a problem.

I think it's definitely worth adding to your list if you don't mind the location.

Dartmouth is a nice school with a relatively small class size (I think that it's around 85 or so) that is located in the middle of nowhere. If you're a city person that needs lots of action and entertainment, then Hanover, NH might not be the place for you. If, however, you have a family and are looking for a nice town for them to live in during your med school years, I think that Hanover is a lovely quiet place to raise a family.

It's ivy, from what friends who have been accepted there have told me. What I mean about this is that it has an ivy-league atmosphere and is set in an ivy-league town. I've heard the kids there can be a bit snotty. There is limited patient diversity-- the majority of the patients are white and affluent, so if inner city medicine is your type of thing, again, this school might not be for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Dartmouth for undergrad and loved lots of things about the school; however, when I started looking at med schools last year I wasn't sure I really wanted to stay at Dartmouth. There is limited patient diversity (I've both heard this from current students and spent lots of time in different clinics). You have to have a car because it is rural. The class is small, but from all the students I've talked to it sounds like it's very close and cooperative. And it is an ivy, Hanover is definitely your typical college town, and some of the undergrads can be kind of snotty (as another poster put it). I know I often felt like the campus is a bubble and lots of student have no idea what else is around Dartmouth/Hanover.

However, there are wonderful things about the school/area. I LOVED being able to go on great hikes near campus or driving an hour or two to hike in the White Mountains. I spent many mornings skiing at Killington/Pico. In the summer the river is right next to campus and there's a swimming area. I love cycling and the roads around campus are beautiful for that. The school itself is good in a lot of ways too, at least for undergrad... professors are generally very willing to meet with students, there are lots of opportunities to get involved in programs in the community, and dartmouth has money to give students who are interested in something.

Anyway, in case you're interested - I'll be starting med school in a couple months in Philly, so I obviously chose to be in a city. But, it all depends what you're looking for.

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions.

i liked the school too...

...then i got the card that the interviewer sends you when you get accepted asking you to come to their school...he wrote the wrong first name. i mean, it started with the same letter but was completely wrong. felt REAL personal to me. :rolleyes:

hehe...actually i would have gone to dartmouth but was a little off put by the lack of diversity. hanover = minimal diversity. chicago = a lot more diversity.

If you're really into skiing, though, Dartmouth may be the place for you.

Dartmouth was one of those applications I filled out on a whim, thinking I had no shot. But after interviewing there, I was sold by how warm and comforting their staff was! It definetly seemed to be a school where you would feel like you had a second family backing you up, a feeling I definetly did not get at some other schools. I agree, patient diversity isn't too hot, plus I loved to party in college and if bars are your thing then don't even think about moving to Hanover, haha. But if you're looking to exchange the partying for a healthier, outdoor lifestyle while in med school go for it. Really, all you can lose is ~100 bucks on the secondary for trying. As for me, I'm on Dartmouth's waitlist and am losing my mind all summer as I try to distract myself with world cup games :)