Talk to me about waitlist prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartino404

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got waitlisted at my top choice. I've heard from a couple of sources that we should expect greater than average waitlist movement this cycle, is there any truth to that? I'm aware that in the meantime I should act as if it was a rejection, but I'm just wondering what my future prospects should be.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From someone also WLed at their top choice, I hope it is, but honestly no one knows what WL movement will look like this year. I do think it'll depend on school tier a bit; I think that T20 WL movement will be steady, per usual.

This varies so much by school. I think the best predictor of WL movement (and even this is imperfect) is previous year's WL movement at a particular school. In any case, anything that's not an acceptance is a rejection until told otherwise.

Reactions: 2 users
I would check what they say their waitlist numbers are on MSAR.

Honestly, every cycle people say there will be more WL movement for one reason or another, but they rarely ever pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also WL at my top choices, and I have gotten accepted at a school off of WL. Right now, I think there's nothing we can do but wait. Nobody's prediction is beyond mere speculation at this point.
Stay in touch with the admission committee (if they welcome communication), keep doing well in your endeavors, and be thankful that this is our worst worry during these difficult times.

Just got waitlisted at my top choice. I've heard from a couple of sources that we should expect greater than average waitlist movement this cycle, is there any truth to that? I'm aware that in the meantime I should act as if it was a rejection, but I'm just wondering what my future prospects should be.

Thanks!
+1 about WL at top choice.
Is there anything we can do besides a LOI or updates and waiting?

+1 about WL at top choice.
Is there anything we can do besides a LOI or updates and waiting?

Nope. Wait til May, then send an LOI/update and hope for the best.

That's what I did and it worked out for me.

Reactions: 6 users
Nope. Wait til May, then send an LOI/update and hope for the best.

That's what I did and it worked out for me.

Do you think the timing matters? What if we sent this letter now?

Do you think the timing matters? What if we sent this letter now?
Momentum is higher when everyone has to select their one school and withdraw from others. So possibly?

Momentum is higher when everyone has to select their one school and withdraw from others. So possibly?
Dang, I didn't know that. I was about to send a letter to the single school I have a waitlist at, but maybe I should wait. Or maybe I can just send 2 letters

Dang, I didn't know that. I was about to send a letter to the single school I have a waitlist at, but maybe I should wait. Or maybe I can just send 2 letters
I would go ahead and send it if it's ready to go. While the majority of waitlist movement takes off after April 30th (CTE date), some schools begin pulling off the waitlist as early as March, and imho it's best to be ready to go with your best foot forward. I recommend checking previous year's school specific threads for your particular school, and seeing what kind of WL trend they have.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, y'all, coming back to here to ask another q. I have been working a couple clinical jobs all year, and obviously didnt have my employers write LOR's because I had just started. would a LOR or reference from a current employer be appropriate for trying to get off the WL? I don't know if this is allowed, just spitballing but let me know thoughts.

Sorry, y'all, coming back to here to ask another q. I have been working a couple clinical jobs all year, and obviously didnt have my employers write LOR's because I had just started. would a LOR or reference from a current employer be appropriate for trying to get off the WL? I don't know if this is allowed, just spitballing but let me know thoughts.
LORs can be added at any point!

ETA: several posters have recommended against this, so while it's allowed, it's not advised!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No one knows if schools increased As this year anticipating candidates did more interviews than normal due to no travel.

No one knows if schools increased As this year anticipating candidates did more interviews than normal due to no travel.
Except, that would be REALLY risky because the schools also don't know whether candidates actually did more interviews, or received more As, so the only move that makes sense for them is to go deeper in their WLs, if necessary. So, even though I'm not an adcom (or even an applicant :)), I'm pretty sure they didn't actually increase As on a hunch during a once in a lifetime pandemic. FWIW, this is potentially good news for anyone on a WL!

Except, that would be REALLY risky because the schools also don't know whether candidates actually did more interviews, or received more As, so the only move that makes sense for them is to go deeper in their WLs, if necessary. So, even though I'm not an adcom (or even an applicant :)), I'm pretty sure they didn't actually increase As on a hunch during a once in a lifetime pandemic. FWIW, this is potentially good news for anyone on a WL!
This. As far as I've heard, the only unforgivable adcom sin is overpacking a class, and since this year is unprecedented in so many ways, I can't imagine that they'd suddenly decide to be less conservative. For the record, I think it'll be similar to past year's WL movement.