Talking about a passion led to a weird interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I may be overthinking this but at one of my interviews, the interviewer touched upon a huge passion of mine: Soccer. We talked about it for a long time, and how I have played for many years but was never quite good enough to get recruited to play in college or thereafter. However, at one point the interviewer asked me ¨So if you could, you would pick being a soccer player over being a doctor?¨ I was kinda stumped. I was like ¨uhhhhh, I was never good enough to be a soccer player.¨ and she asked ¨what if you were?¨ And If I am being completely honest, hell yeah I would want to try to be a soccer player. I told her this (not using hell yeah) and the convo kinda ended there. It seemed to me like she wanted me to doubt my dedication for a career in medicine, but maybe I am just overthinking it? Send help pls.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Seems like a weird question. Spend my 20s playing a game and making millions of dollars, retiring at 35 (I guess this is more nfl than mls)? Versus spending my 20s studying and not making real money till 32? Yah of course I'd do that.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t harp over the question. Your interviewer almost definitely realizes that it’s not a realistic comparison and also not mutually exclusive as you could play professional soccer, retire in your 30s and then pursue a career in med. she was likely just probing more into one of your interests while also attempting to bring the conversation back to medicine/med ed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At one of my interviews, we had a non trad who had played soccer professionally prior to going back to pursue medicine. Doesn’t have to be one or the other. If you get asked that again, just keep that in mind.

As for what happened, don’t worry about it because there’s nothing you can do now. You won’t know how it came across. Just look to the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!
I may be overthinking this but at one of my interviews, the interviewer touched upon a huge passion of mine: Soccer. We talked about it for a long time, and how I have played for many years but was never quite good enough to get recruited to play in college or thereafter. However, at one point the interviewer asked me ¨So if you could, you would pick being a soccer player over being a doctor?¨ I was kinda stumped. I was like ¨uhhhhh, I was never good enough to be a soccer player.¨ and she asked ¨what if you were?¨ And If I am being completely honest, hell yeah I would want to try to be a soccer player. I told her this (not using hell yeah) and the convo kinda ended there. It seemed to me like she wanted me to doubt my dedication for a career in medicine, but maybe I am just overthinking it? Send help pls.
You are definitely overthinking.

You did seem to have trouble understanding a hypothetical question, though. You weren't asked "What if you were good enough to play soccer?"...you were asked "So if you could, you would pick being a soccer player over being a doctor?¨

BTW, this interview is history now. You can't change it, so worrying about it will accomplish nothing but stress. On the then one! (and listen better).

BTW, that was NOT a weird interview question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Then you get hit with this statement: "You can only do one".
giphy.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users