Talking about being undocumented in PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbjx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Will talking about being an undocumented student in my personal statement affect my admittance chances negatively?

A bit of background - I was brought to the country by my parents at a really young age. Of course, being young, I had no idea of the tremendous consequences that would be implicated upon my family and my future. I graduated from high school as a salutatorian, got a 99th percentile SAT score, and received a full scholarship to the college I'm attending now.

It was a long road, but I have a legal status now. I married my husband, who is a citizen and whom I love dearly. Obviously, this is a huge struggle for me - I had to transfer through different high schools four times and had to face the idea of not being able to attend college due to financial strains.

I was wondering if talking about my struggles as an undocumented student might ring negatively in adcoms' eyes. Obviously, this depends on subjective political views, but SHOULD I talk about it in my personal statement? I realize a lot of questions might rise up during the interview that I might have to address, such as my decision to marry at a young age...should I take the plunge?

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If it is somehow related to your decision of pursuing medicine, then I think it's fine. Btw, congrats on overcoming all those obstacles. Good luck.

Hello all,

Will talking about being an undocumented student in my personal statement affect my admittance chances negatively?

A bit of background - I was brought to the country by my parents at a really young age. Of course, being young, I had no idea of the tremendous consequences that would be implicated upon my family and my future. I graduated from high school as a salutatorian, got a 99th percentile SAT score, and received a full scholarship to the college I'm attending now.

It was a long road, but I have a legal status now. I married my husband, who is a citizen and whom I love dearly. Obviously, this is a huge struggle for me - I had to transfer through different high schools four times and had to face the idea of not being able to attend college due to financial strains.

I was wondering if talking about my struggles as an undocumented student might ring negatively in adcoms' eyes. Obviously, this depends on subjective political views, but SHOULD I talk about it in my personal statement? I realize a lot of questions might rise up during the interview that I might have to address, such as my decision to marry at a young age...should I take the plunge?

I call bull**** on this thread. TROLLLLLL

If not a trolollolololol, then of course not dummy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is somehow related to your decision of pursuing medicine, then I think it's fine. Btw, congrats on overcoming all those obstacles. Good luck.

If they are not a citizen, they drop down to a less than what...5% acceptance rate?

Actually, maybe I have the legal system messed up.

If you are not considered international, then I would do it. However, if there is a legal issue, sort out first.

If they are not a citizen, they drop down to a less than what...5% acceptance rate?

Actually, maybe I have the legal system messed up.

If you are not considered international, then I would do it. However, if there is a legal issue, sort out first.

She's got legal status.

I do not see a problem with it. However, you never know what type of political views someone judging your application might hold. I'd leave out the part about becoming a citizen due to you marrying at a young age (despite being for love it just sounds weird to address). Schools like a unique story, diversity, overcoming adversity, etc., especially if it relates to one's decision to pursue medicine. I think it would benefit you to write about it. If you are worried about potential bias, you could write about being from an immigrant family, or struggles you faced having undocumented parents. You are a citizen now, and if you choose to you can write about yourself without mentioning that you did not used to be.

Hello all,

If you aren't a troll, then just tell them your story of coming here illegally and then becoming a citizen and the hardships you faced along the way.

Hello all,

Don't you need to be a citizen or possess a viza to attend medical school?

I do not see a problem with it. However, you never know what type of political views someone judging your application might hold. I'd leave out the part about becoming a citizen due to you marrying at a young age (despite being for love it just sounds weird to address). Schools like a unique story, diversity, overcoming adversity, etc., especially if it relates to one's decision to pursue medicine. I think it would benefit you to write about it. If you are worried about potential bias, you could write about being from an immigrant family, or struggles you faced having undocumented parents. You are a citizen now, and if you choose to you can write about yourself without mentioning that you did not used to be.

I definitely won't address on the personal statement that I got married; I was worried they might notice my selection on the "marital status" part of my application (if there is one..I'm not sure because I'm not applying this year) and will question me.

I call bull**** on this thread. TROLLLLLL

If not a trolollolololol, then of course not dummy.

She's not a troll. This is actually pretty common.

OP
1) Congrats!

2) I know people that were in your position, most did not talk about it straight out unless they were applying to law school where the adcoms are more knowledgeable on these issues and less likely to make uninformed judgements. Who knows how informed medical school adcoms are about these things.

Definitely talk about the hardships that came with being in your situation. As for coming straight out, it's your call. It may help you with some but hurt you with others.

Last edited: