Talking about the mental health issues of others in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blissworm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that mentioning mental health issues (depression, self harm, eating issues) in medical applications in any way is a bad idea. I have tried to write my ps while avoiding this experience (where I learned about my close friend's troubles and how it impact me because I felt helpless to solve anything) but it just isn't working; this experience is a big part of my I want to become a doctor specifically and not a biomedical researcher. Is it possible to discuss this in a way that works, or should I avoid it completely and try to focus on other stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoever gave that advice is incorrect. There is no problem with talking about your friend’s issues as part of your PS, as long as the person cannot be identified (or is okay with you using their story). I have seen lots of PS and secondaries that discuss topics like this.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the stigma is around discussing your own mental health issues, unfortunately. People worry that adcoms will question (probably unconsciously) your ability to make it through med school. So that wouldn't apply to talking about how you interacted with other people's mental health issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
as long as the person cannot be identified (or is okay with you using their story)
Thank you for your reply - you have pointed out another potential issue. My friend does not know that this experience was also transformative for me. I don't plan to include anything that could possibly identify them, but I have not discussed this topic with them because I have always convinced them their choice to share things with me back when we were young was never a burden such that they'd continue to feel comfortable sharing and venting. Not sure how to proceed.

Thank you for your reply - you have pointed out another potential issue. My friend does not know that this experience was also transformative for me. I don't plan to include anything that could possibly identify them, but I have not discussed this topic with them because I have always convinced them their choice to share things with me back when we were young was never a burden such that they'd continue to feel comfortable sharing and venting. Not sure how to proceed.
I mean are you planning on sending them your personal statement? How would they find you talking about it? It's a personal experience for you, you don't need someones permission to talk about that in your personal statement that they'll never see if you aren't identifying them. "I watched my friend struggle with X, Y, and Z, and it impacted me in X, Y, and Z ways."

I mean are you planning on sending them your personal statement? How would they find you talking about it? It's a personal experience for you, you don't need someones permission to talk about that in your personal statement that they'll never see if you aren't identifying them.
Fair, but also just worried about the ethics of using someone else's struggles to what is ultimately my own advantage for furthering my career. Guess I am psyching myself out now

Reactions: 1 user
Fair, but also just worried about the ethics of using someone else's struggles to what is ultimately my own advantage for furthering my career. Guess I am psyching myself out now
That is what life is (not using things unethically, but experiencing things vicariously). You're writing a personal statement about the things you have experienced and why they drove you to medicine. I don't think it's unethical nor utilizing a friends struggle for advancement. You're writing about your personal experiences with your friend. I think authenticity in real stories would come off as a better read in the PS than fluffed up nothing stories.

Just as a disclaimer this is peer pre-med to pre-med advice, if actual adcom members give contrary advice take theirs!

Reactions: 3 users
It sounds as though you are planning to handle this in a sensitive way (not using identifying information). It would also be okay to have a talk with your friend and let them know that they have been an important influence in your journey to medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Be absolutely certain that no one could identify this friend based on the schools you've attended (HS and college) and the activities you've been involved with. I tell this story every year but a fellow adcom member identified her own child in a story like this one based on where the applicant had volunteered with disabled children. The kicker was that she'd just returned from bereavement leave after the death of that child. She recused herself.

That said, it is okay to write about experiences you have had that have influenced your journey. Naturally, these experiences involve others.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Be absolutely certain that no one could identify this friend based on the schools you've attended (HS and college) and the activities you've been involved with. I tell this story every year but a fellow adcom member identified her own child in a story like this one based on where the applicant had volunteered with disabled children. The kicker was that she'd just returned from bereavement leave after the death of that child. She recused herself.

That said, it is okay to write about experiences you have had that have influenced your journey. Naturally, these experiences involve others.
Thank you for the word of caution, and noted.