Talking to Professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBMD

Pre-med Dreamer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I've been wondering what seems to be a good way to approach profs. I know that there's not just one set of rules and it probably is not a super big difficulty for most of you regarding this issue. However, I am a little bit shy and I felt awkward when I went to see my profs during the office hours. I couldn't keep the conversation going well like that some other students can do. I myself admire a lot of my professors and would like to get to know them even if I wouldn't want them to write a reference letter or want to find a research opportunity. But the fact that I really respect them makes me feel uncomfortable talking to them. Partly, this is because of the culture I've been broughtup with back in my country.
Also, I thought maybe it's a good idea to talk to them about their research but to talk about their research actually needs deep understanding and knowledge than what I have learned up to this point. So besides asking them some questions about the stuff I didn't understand, I randomly came up with some questions that seemed to be too general, and maybe too personal?. For example, asking them where they graduated from. lol

I was really awkward and I know the profs could tell. And they probably have thought that this student's just weird and not very smart, if they remembered me. :(

Maybe, those of you who feel comfortable talking to profs can give me some ideas about how you approach them... please! I would really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a professor that I'd like to know. He's got an awesome background, got his undergrad and grad degree from two VERY prestigious schools, has taught at medical schools, and does plenty of research. I feel shallow since I'd love to get an LOR from him.

Unfortunatly for me, I'm having to go talk to him because I'm not comfortable with some of the material we've covered. We've already been tested on it and I thought I had it down, but the C+ on the test suggests otherwise. I feel kind of stupid bringing it up now, after the test. I emailed asking if he could recommend some additional texts I could go over to help. He said to come by his office so there I'll be on Tuesday.

I can let you know after Tuesday if being stupid is the approach to take :laugh:

You might want to try and get over this fear of professors asap. I'm not sure what field you want to go into, but there is a good chance that you are going to have alot of patient contact and you are going to be required to be an above average communicator. This also will help you be successful on your clinical rotations which can influence your residency...not to mention medical school interviews.

Until you get more comfortable, my advice would be to have a lot of questions. Like you mentioned, asked them about thier research, even basic questions if you have no idea what they do. If you can come up with questions that will get them talking, it will make you more comfortable as time goes on. Most people love nothing more than to talk about themselves, so come up with a list of questions that will get them rolling. The first meetings will be the worst, but the more you show up, ask relevenat questions, the more comfortable you will become.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think about it this way, you are paying them to teach you and for their time. You as a student are entitled to a few minutes of their time, nothing to be shy about, this isn't high school.

Hi all!

Also, I thought maybe it's a good idea to talk to them about their research but to talk about their research actually needs deep understanding and knowledge than what I have learned up to this point. So besides asking them some questions about the stuff I didn't understand, I randomly came up with some questions that seemed to be too general, and maybe too personal?. For example, asking them where they graduated from. lol
Sincere flattery will get you far in many cases. There's no need to have "deep understanding and knowledge" of their research--they know you're a student!--and definitely no need to pretend that you do, since they'll see through it. But you ought to be able to come up with a good conversation-starter based on even general principles...something that shows your interest and gets them talking. "I know you've worked extensively on [topic]--what led you to that area of work?" or some such thing. Or ask about their current or future projects. Let it be known that you would be interested in an opportunity to assist in the lab. Ask who else's work they admire. etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't ask where they graduated from--you should be able to find that info on your school's web page--but you might ask them how they became interested in the field, what their college/grad school research experience was like, etc.

Just like attending physicians, some professors won't be eager to give you the time of day, much less to chat with you or be a mentor figure. But if you can ease your way out of the shyness, you'll probably find that many of them are very happy to get to know a student outside of the classroom/lab.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your input, everyone! I'll try to improve my communication skills and to overcome my shyness.