TAMU vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredocplz531

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a long time lurker was lucky enough to get offers from my top two choices. Heading into these interviews I had utmb as a clear favorite but I’m pretty torn as of now.

TAMU
Pros: updated 1.5 preclinical curriculum
-have the option to spend 3 years in Dallas or 2.5 in Houston
-either the cheapest or 2nd cheapest med school in the us
- solid rotation sites in established hospitals in major cities
-step scores on the rise
-updated and state of the art facilities
-faculty seem to treat you with dignity and respect. The students and faculty members seemed to know each other very well and seemed tight-knit and supportive
-small class size
-lots of living resources (close to stores, gyms, etc)
Cons: -idk how much research opportunities are available
-divided campus, could be a pro but I don’t know many schools that do this

UTMB
Pros: most established med school in Texas
-history of outstanding board scores
-lots of research opportunities
-new simulator building seems pretty sweet
Cons:
-Galveston, lack of grocery stores and gyms give me concerns
-from my interview day it seemed that professionalism from the faculty to the students were lacking, many students that I interacted with mentioned this
-everything just seemed kind of outdated, and the curriculum being the big thing that stood out to me as dated
- the “chill” vibe they pushed seemed really overdone and fake tbh
-the school seemed a bit disorganized, and I really was not a fan having to walk all over campus with very little help trying to find my next interview

Both are great schools and Im very fortunate, would like to hear yalls opinions and as of now I would say I’m 55% Tamu, but idk how I feel about turning down an established program like utmb. Also, both schools seem to match equally as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to the school that’s best for you. If you apply yourself, you’ll do just fine at either. You don’t need anyone else’s validation. Your gut seems to be leading you to A&M. Go with it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d message people at those schools to get more info, honestly. Does TAMU’s friendly
Vibe continue when you’ve moved cities for year 3 and 4? How’s cost of living then? What’s research look like?
For UTMB: what are lectures like? Are they just BNB videos cause someone told me that...? What connections have your faculty provided? What research have YOU done?

For both, one question I wished I asked before choosing a school: what percentage of your class do you know the name of? What percentage of your class could you call if you needed help? Where do people study? Do they go to lecture? Do you ever SEE your peers?

I have truly, truly enjoyed having a small class. Most people go to lecture and most people stick around after lecture, even if just for lunch. I feel like I could text literally anyone from any year and they’d jump to help me. That has been valuable for me and seems like something that might matter to you based on your pro/con list.

Reactions: 3 users
Personal bias, but I got waitlisted at UTMB. :) I felt I fit in there a lot, so would be happy to get a chance to get pulled from the alternate pool. No other offers for me yet as of now, but hopeful for U of H.

Either way, best of luck! I hope you end up happy wherever you go! I'm sure you'll be a great doctor, regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Old thread but bumping because Im curious to see which school OP decided on

Reactions: 1 user