• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Tapering

jkdynasty

5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
  1. Medical Student
I'm getting close to my test date (August) and my practice tests have been going fine. A lot of my friends said they studied too hard the week before the MCAT and I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion for what you should do during the last few days before you take the test.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
  1. Medical Student
I agree with your friends. I too was where I wanted to be about a week ahead of time, and I think it's a good idea to cool it a bit. I took the test Saturday, but I think my last full length was Monday or Tuesday. I reviewed things I was still a little shaky on, and maybe did a practice section or two on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday was off, and I hit it out of the park on Saturday.

There's definitely a tradeoff where you can trade some study-time to be in peak physical test-taking shape in the last couple of days. If you're the kind of person who won't drive themselves crazy with very light studying a couple of days before; I recommend scaling back significantly.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dirty South
  1. Medical Student
I'm scheduled to space my remaining FLs out a bit before test date, and had planned to take my last FL (10 or 9 -- not sure which order yet) three days before my exam. This way I have that night/the next day to review the exam, and then have the day before the test off. Is this not a good idea? I thought this would be considered light, but I don't want to overdo it right before the test.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Here's my suggestion for the last 9 days:

Day 89: AAMC #9
Day 90: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 91: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 92: Break
Day 93: AAMC #10
Day 94: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 95: Review FL + Practice problems
Day 96: Break
MCAT

About the Ads

jkdynasty

5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
  1. Medical Student
I agree with your friends. I too was where I wanted to be about a week ahead of time, and I think it's a good idea to cool it a bit. I took the test Saturday, but I think my last full length was Monday or Tuesday. I reviewed things I was still a little shaky on, and maybe did a practice section or two on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday was off, and I hit it out of the park on Saturday.

There's definitely a tradeoff where you can trade some study-time to be in peak physical test-taking shape in the last couple of days. If you're the kind of person who won't drive themselves crazy with very light studying a couple of days before; I recommend scaling back significantly.

Thanks for the advice. It will be hard, but I gotta get mentally and physically prepared like you said.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.