Target MSTP programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2021

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm submitting my MD/PhD application very soon and I'm looking to find some more good match/target MSTP programs to apply to. Here's my stats and important info:

GPA: all 4.0's
MCAT: not taken yet (thanks covid) but I'm anticipating the 520 range
Research: ~2500 hours over 3 years (all in the same lab), 1 second-author publication, 2 nearly complete first-author type projects, several notable presentations/awards

Notable extracurriculars:
Semi-professional cellist: 5,000 hours with many leadership opportunities
Faith-based volunteering: 400 hours
Other humanitarian volunteering: 300+ hours
Supplemental Instruction leader: 700 hours over 4 semesters
Peer tutor: 200 hours over 5 semesters

I'm a little worried because I have <50 hours each for clinical volunteering and shadowing because my opportunities were cut of by COVID...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You're likely competitive for even the most selective MSTPs if you do end up getting a 520+ MCAT, but until that actually occurs, you can't know. I'd recommend including all in-state MSTPs and then targeting those in the cities that you'd most want to live in -- I feel like people on SDN and elsewhere severely understate the importance of location/support systems since this is an 8+ year haul.

Hey all, I'm submitting my MD/PhD application very soon and I'm looking to find some more good match/target MSTP programs to apply to. Here's my stats and important info:

GPA: all 4.0's
MCAT: not taken yet (thanks covid) but I'm anticipating the 520 range
Research: ~2500 hours over 3 years (all in the same lab), 1 second-author publication, 2 nearly complete first-author type projects, several notable presentations/awards

Notable extracurriculars:
Semi-professional cellist: 5,000 hours with many leadership opportunities
Faith-based volunteering: 400 hours
Other humanitarian volunteering: 300+ hours
Supplemental Instruction leader: 700 hours over 4 semesters
Peer tutor: 200 hours over 5 semesters

I'm a little worried because I have <50 hours each for clinical volunteering and shadowing because my opportunities were cut of by COVID...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

You're likely competitive for even the most selective MSTPs if you do end up getting a 520+ MCAT, but until that actually occurs, you can't know. I'd recommend including all in-state MSTPs and then targeting those in the cities that you'd most want to live in -- I feel like people on SDN and elsewhere severely understate the importance of location/support systems since this is an 8+ year haul.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I'm just worried about my list being too top-heavy, because it can be really hard to figure out if a certain program is a "reach" program or more attainable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assume all programs are reach programs -- for MSTPs, it's kind of true.

Reactions: 1 user
Just FYI, if that's a real picture of you I would change it for anonymity. Good luck with your app cycle though!

What are you research interests?

I'm looking towards visual neuroscience / ophthalmology. I know several of the top-tier schools are associated with great eye institutes, so that's always a plus.

If you're worried about identifying some (maybe) less competitive programs, I would recommend looking at MSTP List and Med School Research Rankings (I know that the USNEWS rankings are a majority BS but for research they can be useful because they take funding into account) and choosing MSTP programs on the lower end of the rankings.

If you're worried about identifying some (maybe) less competitive programs, I would recommend looking at MSTP List and Med School Research Rankings (I know that the USNEWS rankings are a majority BS but for research they can be useful because they take funding into account) and choosing MSTP programs on the lower end of the rankings.

Will do, thanks so much! I've looked at that USNEWS ranking before, but I wasn't sure how accurate it was.