Target or Walgreen's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prairie42

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate in May and have received job offers from both of these companies. Does anyone have any input on what working for either of these pharmacies is like? Target boasts about a better work environment with no drive-thru window, more days off annually, a slightly better salary and the fact that the pharmacy closes each day for a 30 minute lunch break. Walgreen's claims they have the best technology, and offers a very generous sign-on bonus. Target claims they don't offer sign-on bonuses (at least in the market I am interested in) because they don't need to in order to attract pharmacists. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

prairie42 said:
I graduate in May and have received job offers from both of these companies. Does anyone have any input on what working for either of these pharmacies is like? Target boasts about a better work environment with no drive-thru window, more days off annually, a slightly better salary and the fact that the pharmacy closes each day for a 30 minute lunch break. Walgreen's claims they have the best technology, and offers a very generous sign-on bonus. Target claims they don't offer sign-on bonuses (at least in the market I am interested in) because they don't need to in order to attract pharmacists. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

From everything I've read and heard, Target is a lot better company to work for. For one, the pharmacy isn't the main money maker at Target, so you don't have as much pressure to meet quotas. I also would imagine that they are lower volume than a store like Wags or CVS. The pharmacists that I've talked to at Target seem more relaxed (as in not frazzled) than the pharmacists at Walgreen's. Plus, the Rx labelling system that they just implemented looks kind of cool. (Their clothes can be cute too - employee discounts for the win!)

How much of a difference would your take-home pay be over a couple of years if you compared your salary at Wags with a bonus to the salary at Target w/o a bonus? Who has the better benefits package? Good luck in whatever you choose!

I'm about to enter pharmacy school, but I've had a variety of professional jobs in the public and private sectors, and I've found that my quality of life is the most important thing when considering jobs.

I stayed in research, but switched employers for a position that paid less, but I more than made up for that with much less stress.

Honestly, a little bit more money isn't worth being continually stressed out, and the ability to take vacation easily is a definite plus. I say go with Target. Don't forget the 10% discount on your prescription co-pay and on merchandise. I have a couple of friends who work for Target outside of the pharmacy, and they have good things to say.

That's my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moxxie said:
From everything I've read and heard, Target is a lot better company to work for. For one, the pharmacy isn't the main money maker at Target, so you don't have as much pressure to meet quotas. I also would imagine that they are lower volume than a store like Wags or CVS. The pharmacists that I've talked to at Target seem more relaxed (as in not frazzled) than the pharmacists at Walgreen's. Plus, the Rx labelling system that they just implemented looks kind of cool. (Their clothes can be cute too - employee discounts for the win!)

How much of a difference would your take-home pay be over a couple of years if you compared your salary at Wags with a bonus to the salary at Target w/o a bonus? Who has the better benefits package? Good luck in whatever you choose!

Thanks for your reply. The salary difference is 10k annually (6 or 7k after taxes) in favor of Target. Walgreen's sign-on bonus is 20k (11k after taxes). Benefits for both companies are comparable with the edge going to Target. Target has a pension plan plus a 401k. If I don't go with Wags, I will owe them some money as I took out a loan with them during the last 2 years of school that would be erased if I went to work for them. The extra salary difference could be used to pay the loan off I suppose. Thanks again.

tennismn said:
I'm about to enter pharmacy school, but I've had a variety of professional jobs in the public and private sectors, and I've found that my quality of life is the most important thing when considering jobs.

I stayed in research, but switched employers for a position that paid less, but I more than made up for that with much less stress.

Honestly, a little bit more money isn't worth being continually stressed out, and the ability to take vacation easily is a definite plus. I say go with Target. Don't forget the 10% discount on your prescription co-pay and on merchandise. I have a couple of friends who work for Target outside of the pharmacy, and they have good things to say.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks. I worked extensivley also (15 years to be exact) before starting pharmacy school. It is hard to put a price on stress and the toll it takes on you over time, that is for sure. My wife loves Target and we would definitely take advantage of that 10% discount! Thanks again.

prairie42 said:
Thanks for your reply. The salary difference is 10k annually (6 or 7k after taxes) in favor of Target. Walgreen's sign-on bonus is 20k (11k after taxes). Benefits for both companies are comparable with the edge going to Target. Target has a pension plan plus a 401k. If I don't go with Wags, I will owe them some money as I took out a loan with them during the last 2 years of school that would be erased if I went to work for them. The extra salary difference could be used to pay the loan off I suppose. Thanks again.

Besides all the other things that others have mentioned, this is a good reason for choosing Target. Pensions can be hard to find these days!

prairie42 said:

If you don't mind saying, how much were you offered at Target and Walgreens, and what is your location? I'm just trying to get a feel for retail salaries compared to their location since I hear that retail pharmacies in smaller locales seem to offer higher salaries.

As for Target vs. Walgreens, I can tell you that for me, quality of life is way more important than dealing with a more stressful environment. So it would be Target all the way. :thumbup:

I have no firsthand knowledge whatsoever about the working environments at Target and Walgreens pharmacies, but I love to shop at Target because of the calm environment there. The stores are bigger not only because they have more stuff, but it's not as crammed as Walgreens. Plus, I've always found it interesting how they refer to people who come in as 'guests' instead of 'customers'. Target would probably be at the top of my list when I graduate, regardless of salary and benefits.

I vote for quality of life over income. Life is too short & being a pharmacist is too stressful to compromise that. Over your lifetime, the money won't be missed.

Either income would provide a comfortable lifestyle at home.

Only one provides a more enjoyable work environment. Sure, there are individual factors from store to store that make it hard to compare across chains sometimes. But we can be pretty certain that working for Wags will mean being understaffed more often, having more varied hours, working at a drive-thru, having the store manager (general store manager, not pharmacy manager) try to tell you which Rxs to fill, having their corporate office tell you that you have to fill narc Rxs early for cash, and all that junk.

I just talked with Target at our career fair this week. The guy said that they only fill 70 prescriptions per day. My Walgreens where I interned did 600+ per day. Which type of environment would you be more comfortable working in? I'd place more value on my day-to-day routine than on the salary difference.

Walgreens does have a better computer system, a nice 10-year stock option plan, 401k matching and more pharmacist coverage. My store had 3 pharmacists on duty, so there was no problem taking lunch breaks, bathroom breaks, time to counsel, etc. If you've interned at Walgreens, then you'll know what it is like in your area. Why don't you visit some Target stores in your town and talk with the pharmacists. See what they like/don't like.

I have first-hand experience in both work environments - they pay me to work at Target and I did a community practice externship at Walgreens. By far, Target has a much more pharmacist-friendly work environment. Besides the obvious perks (no drive-through, fancy new bottles and labeling system, etc.), Walgreens always struck me as a bit less "on top of things" than they may be perceived by the public. As far as volume goes, it really is store-dependent. One of the stores in my district does 500+ a day... my store (20 minutes away) is lucky to do 100. There also seems to be a bit more comradery among the Target crew... my pharmacist manager just had a baby (six weeks early!) and her partners were quick to fill in the gaps. The same sort of thing happened at Walgreens while I was there and they couldn't find coverage for days. Email me if you want to talk shop :)

Members don't see this ad :)
starsweet said:
If you don't mind saying, how much were you offered at Target and Walgreens, and what is your location? I'm just trying to get a feel for retail salaries compared to their location since I hear that retail pharmacies in smaller locales seem to offer higher salaries.

As for Target vs. Walgreens, I can tell you that for me, quality of life is way more important than dealing with a more stressful environment. So it would be Target all the way. :thumbup:

Both are over $100k. The Walgreen's job is in Phoenix, AZ but the Target job is in the Upper Midwest.

bananaface said:
Either income would provide a comfortable lifestyle at home.

Only one provides a more enjoyable work environment. Sure, there are individual factors from store to store that make it hard to compare across chains sometimes. But we can be pretty certain that working for Wags will mean being understaffed more often, having more varied hours, working at a drive-thru, having the store manager (general store manager, not pharmacy manager) try to tell you which Rxs to fill, having their corporate office tell you that you have to fill narc Rxs early for cash, and all that junk.

You are probably correct. Either job would work. However, when I did my community rotation at Walgreen's, that place was nuts. I went to work each day with a sour stomach and I was just an unpaid extern.

prairie42 said:
Having worked both a drive through and non-drive through store, I can tell you that the drive-thru can be a big source of stress. It's not unusual for people in the line behind the front car to complain because they had to wait so long, and what was the problem with the car ahead of them (like it's any of their business). People are too used to the Wendy's speed of drive-thru windows, and then they get hostile when we don't move people that quickly. And, I think the lunch break thing is significant. As a tech, I mostly get a lunch break where I can sit down. I've watched our pharmacists either never get to eat, or have to eat between patients for years. In fact, at one point I thought I would never want to become a pharmacist because of the working conditions. However, I came to realize that not all practice settings were like my store, and not all retail stores were like my store either.

I'm with the other posters - I would go for the daily quality of life and choose Target, assuming that job is somewhere you want to live.

I work at Target right now as a pharmacy tech and I've talked to a lot of the pharmacists and the major concensus was that it was less stress (We fill 70/day). One floater that I talked to just transferred from a high volume Walgreens and isn't really liking it as much as she thought she would. She's used to being busier (she says she didn't go through pharmacy school just to sit there at work). Full time at Target is considered 42 hours/week and at least in IL they still pay regular salary if you work overtime. I don't know how that compares with Walgreens. I've also heard that salary is typically lower at Target than Walgreens, so your offer sounds really good. I've never worked at a pharmacy other than Target and I personally would want to experience a more high volume store. I guess the grass always looks greener on the other side.

WALGREENS is a lot better if you would ever like to MOVE out of your store and ADVANCE. It is a GREAT company with GREAT benefits especially if you want to become pharmacy manager or supervisor or district manager, store manager. It also offers a 15% discount on sale items which comes out cheaper than Target on many items.

Walgreens is only bad if u make it bad. Your job is what u make of it. If you are good to Walgreens they will be good to you. And you can move up the "corporate ladder".

Go for Target if you want to work in a pharmacy your whole life definitely would be easier.

All in all pay doesn't matter much but what your goals are do!

pharmduic said:
If you are good to Walgreens they will be good to you. And you can move up the "corporate ladder".

There's no need to put corporate ladder in quotes because it actually exists. It's in aisle 5.

pharmduic said:
Walgreens is only bad if u make it bad. Your job is what u make of it. If you are good to Walgreens they will be good to you. And you can move up the "corporate ladder".

Dont give me that "if you are good to walgreens they are good to you" bunk. Im sure the function just like every other chain out there right now. Ive seen it another chain where they ask ask ask from teh pharmacist, they ask to work w/o a tech, to work extra shifts, to work more then they want. Then when it comes for the pharm to ask something they get the run around or just plain rejected. They promise things that never materalize and so forth. Also, moving up the corporate ladder isnt always a good thing, then you have to just deal with more stuff spread out over many stores for a little extra pay. Now, i dont have personal walgreens expirences just other chain exprierence and all chains are the same

Me personally, id pick target. The less stress, better benifits and better pay is better than the small chance you have to move up the corporate laddder at walgreens. Plus who wants to deal with a drive through and a store thats open 25 hours when you can work for target who is closed reatively early and 15% at walgreens doesnt compare to 10% at target. You cant buy TV's and clothes at walgreens

npage148 said:
Dont give me that "if you are good to walgreens they are good to you" bunk. Im sure the function just like every other chain out there right now. Ive seen it another chain where they ask ask ask from teh pharmacist, they ask to work w/o a tech, to work extra shifts, to work more then they want. Then when it comes for the pharm to ask something they get the run around or just plain rejected. They promise things that never materalize and so forth. Also, moving up the corporate ladder isnt always a good thing, then you have to just deal with more stuff spread out over many stores for a little extra pay. Now, i dont have personal walgreens expirences just other chain exprierence and all chains are the same

Me personally, id pick target. The less stress, better benifits and better pay is better than the small chance you have to move up the corporate laddder at walgreens. Plus who wants to deal with a drive through and a store thats open 25 hours when you can work for target who is closed reatively early and 15% at walgreens doesnt compare to 10% at target. You cant buy TV's and clothes at walgreens

To me, it is not just "a little extra pay". Pharmacy supervisors for Walgreens start around $140-$150 in the Midwest. That is about 50k more than a regular pharmacist.

Not everyone wants to move up the corporate ladder though.

I used to work at Walgreens for 2 years...and I just had a rotation at Target. By far, Target is the better work environment. The pharmacist could take 30 min lunch breaks, in which they could close the pharmacy. At the Walgreens I was at, the pharmacist never got a lunch break. I do agree that Walgreens is overall a good company with a great computer system, however I thought it was insane work environment and I hated going to work.

And a job is not always what you make of it....some environments are simply better than others

illusions said:
I used to work at Walgreens for 2 years...and I just had a rotation at Target. By far, Target is the better work environment. The pharmacist could take 30 min lunch breaks, in which they could close the pharmacy. At the Walgreens I was at, the pharmacist never got a lunch break. I do agree that Walgreens is overall a good company with a great computer system, however I thought it was insane work environment and I hated going to work.

And a job is not always what you make of it....some environments are simply better than others

Question for those in pharmacy school. Is there a push among the pharmaceutical community to disassociate with entities such as Target and Walgreens, and form more medical supplies/pharmacies jointly? Why are the number of stand-alone pharmacies decreasing? The reason I'm wondering is there is always recruitment among all types of allied health professions to join corp's like costco, etc, however all have resisted with the exception of optometry and pharmacy. Thanks

illusions said:

Thank you for your reply. When I did my rotation at Walgreen's, the pharmacists never got a lunch break either. They ended up inhaling their food whenever there was the slightest opportunity. I think Walgreen's is a successful company though and they still continue to have aggressive expansion plans well into the future. Thanks to everyone who has given me input.

I would recommend Target. I worked at one in athens,ga before starting pharmacy school, and it was really nice. You should consider though some of the options people have listed.

You may fill a bunch of prescriptions say at Walgreens, but with me I find time flies by much quicker when you are working harder.

Sign on bonuses are nice. I have seen some that are 40-50K sign on bonuses. That definitely takes a chunk off your debt. Then again what is your yearly salary going to be in comparison to someone who doesnt offer you a sign on bonus. I think it's better to haggle for a higher yearly salary than a sign on bonus.

Who is offering the most, and what is your goals. Less prescriptions would mean more counseling and that may be your thing.

It really is a decision you should spend time on. You worked hard in school, and now you are taking that big step into your career.

Whatever the outcome, I am sure you will do fine.

So I have worked at Target for over a year. I started as a tech and am now an intern. I have loved working there and loved the environment my boss has provided for me to learn how to practice. The store only does about 50 scripts a day, so there is time for me to spend with him, learn, etc.

So now I have to change modes. Its not as great as it seems. Stress does not always equate to volume. I have never worked at Wags, so I am by no means saying Target is worse, but keep these things in mind:

Target is struggling to find market share in a market that falls outside their traditional business. They have exectuive level employees with a bachelor's in retail making decisions about what is best for the pharmacy. At no point has Target made an effort to market their pharmacists (they have only marketed CleaRx). This is because they do not respect what a pharmacist does. They may be telling you, they have lower volume, but do you think they like it that way at corporate? They want more sales and expect their pharmacists to market for them. They want them to spend 2-4 hours in the aisles asking "guests" where they get their scripts, filled, touting CleaRx, etc. There are meetings weekly about sales versus goals, and if you fall from week to week, action plans are expected. There is never ever a mention of the profession, patient safety, health awareness, disease management etc. I would think that a chain whose core business is pharmacy and is run by pharmacists might have the patient/profession in mind with many of their initiatives. Target does nothing to prmote the profession or try to find a niche by offering different services, etc. It is all about market share. You would think they would be more innovative in their approach.

You may not have the stress of 600 scripts a day, but you do have the stress of "get your sales up, or else."

jboogie said:
They want them to spend 2-4 hours in the aisles asking "guests" where they get their scripts, filled, touting CleaRx, etc. There are meetings weekly about sales versus goals, and if you fall from week to week, action plans are expected.

Wow...THAT seems a little bizarre. At Walgreens you get trained pretty well and they really value the pharmacy portion of store since most of the executives are pharmacists. However, due to their high-tech system, everything you do is analyzed. As a tech I am analyzed on the accuracy of rx's entered, filled, the number of generic drugs used, etc (things related to accuracy and profit). I'm not so sure what pharmacists get analyzed for, maybe how fast it takes them to fill an rx. Anyways, periodically they give this VERY detailed report about you and there is a pressure at Walgreens about needing to be more efficient, profitable, etc.. I heard Pharmacy manager & district manager's bonuses depended on those things..

jboogie said:
You may not have the stress of 600 scripts a day, but you do have the stress of "get your sales up, or else."

Just as the previous poster stated, you have the same pressure about getting sales up at walgreens as well. Unfortunately pharmacy is a business and this is probably inevitable.

jboogie said:
They want them to spend 2-4 hours in the aisles asking "guests" where they get their scripts, filled, touting CleaRx, etc. There are meetings weekly about sales versus goals, and if you fall from week to week, action plans are expected.

Yup, my preceptor at Target is supposed to make at least 8 laps around the store each day to increase customer awareness that Target even has a pharmacy.

DrugDealer said:
Yup, my preceptor at Target is supposed to make at least 8 laps around the store each day to increase customer awareness that Target even has a pharmacy.

How can the pharmacist make laps around the store? Isn't the pharmacist supposed to be in (or in very close proximity to) the pharmacy the entire shift?

ForgetMeNot said:
How can the pharmacist make laps around the store? Isn't the pharmacist supposed to be in (or in very close proximity to) the pharmacy the entire shift?

Maybe on the lunch break they get.....haha, j/k.

ForgetMeNot said:

Legally, I think it's ok as long as the pharmacist doesn't leave the store itself. If they get a waiter while he's out and about, I guess they would page him on the walkie-talkie. He's supposed to make the laps, this doesn't mean he actually does.

prairie42 said:
If I don't go with Wags, I will owe them some money as I took out a loan with them during the last 2 years of school that would be erased if I went to work for them.

Hi. I will be an entering student this coming fall and I would like to know how this loan from Walgreens work. For how long you have to work for them in order to repay your loans? Are the interest rates brutal if you decide to work for another company?
Thanks!

Pintobeans said:
Hi. I will be an entering student this coming fall and I would like to know how this loan from Walgreens work. For how long you have to work for them in order to repay your loans? Are the interest rates brutal if you decide to work for another company?
Thanks!

Walgreens has two programs. The first program, you get 1500, the 1st year and $500 more every year you receive the loan. The second program will replace the 1st one....and in ur 3rd and 4th year....if u agree to work in a certain area, you will receive $5000 a year.

Every year that you receive the loan, you will have to work 1 year as a full time pharmacist to cancel out the balance.
Fine print: If you have a 4 year commitment, and you work with them for 3 years....you still have to pay back the full loan for all 4 years.

If you decide not to work for them, the full balance becomes due immediately. Don't remember what the interest rate is.

illusions said:
Walgreens has two programs. The first program, you get 1500, the 1st year and $500 more every year you receive the loan. The second program will replace the 1st one....and in ur 3rd and 4th year....if u agree to work in a certain area, you will receive $5000 a year.

Every year that you receive the loan, you will have to work 1 year as a full time pharmacist to cancel out the balance.
Fine print: If you have a 4 year commitment, and you work with them for 3 years....you still have to pay back the full loan for all 4 years.

If you decide not to work for them, the full balance becomes due immediately. Don't remember what the interest rate is.

That is correct. The interest rate is 8% but the terms as you spelled out are important to note. The balance is due immediately, or so they say. If you are unable to pay immediately, then Walgreen's charges an APR of 8% but still wants the entire balance paid "in a few months." I don't know what terms could be negotiated beyond that stipulation.

illusions said:

Would it not be better to just pay for school with loans and then once your done with school get a sign on bonus? I have heard of sign on bonuses as high as 40k-50k. Whether that is true or not im not sure. A 50k sign on bonus would definatly put a big dent in your student loans.

soul21 said:
Would it not be better to just pay for school with loans and then once your done with school get a sign on bonus? I have heard of sign on bonuses as high as 40k-50k. Whether that is true or not im not sure. A 50k sign on bonus would definatly put a big dent in your student loans.
i have never heard of a 40-50K signon bonus

soul21 said:

The highest sign-on bonus in our class that I am aware of is 30k, offered by Walgreen's. Also, bonuses are taxed to death. Federal taxes, FICA, Medicare and state (if applicable) taxes take roughly 40% total, so 30k turns into 18k quickly.

prairie42 said:
The highest sign-on bonus in our class that I am aware of is 30k, offered by Walgreen's. Also, bonuses are taxed to death. Federal taxes, FICA, Medicare and state (if applicable) taxes take roughly 40% total, so 30k turns into 18k quickly.

I had heard another student say that here in the Metro Phoenix area last year, Osco was giving a $30K sign-on bonus, but you got the entire sum up front, and it was just added-in to your 3rd year taxable income. (?) ...kind of a moot point now though, since they got divied-up and sold to CVS and other parties.

Though yes, sign-on bonuses are taxed like income, the fact that you get it in a year where you won't make a full income (lower pay as intern & not working the entire year) make it somewhat tax-advantageous to get a big chunk of change if you do sign the contract in the year that you graduate.