TASS cases recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chsidoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this probably isn't the most helpful place to post but figured I would ask in case someone else has been experiencing similar findings. Several surgeons at our ASC have had a case of TASS over the last 6 weeks or so. The ASC has been undertaking appropriate protocol for investigation but wanted to see if anyone by chance has been experiencing similar. Everything aside from instruments is essentially single use Alcon packs. A few of the cases have been with the Rayner EMV lens. It does not seem likely that any of that is related but just trying to keep an open mind and be as thorough as possible for patient safety purposes. Thanks in advance for any feedback or similar experiences recently

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the time it comes from some break down of sterilization. There are companies that the ASCs can hire to do a deep dive and figure out the cause. Typically when this happens, all cases pause until a cause is found and a change implemented. I've had this happen at 2 different ASCs in my career so far.

Do you recall what was the cause in the two ASCs?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the VA several years ago, one reason was that the scope room (GI) was not a separate clean room from the other supplies. That's the reason why 1) GI has to have their own sterilization area in an ASC and 2) the VA uses single-use disposable lenses and ophthalmic equipment now.

Ugh. I’d be careful sharing an ASC with GI. I’ve heard of malpractice cases in ASCs at least in charlotte and Portland where the nurse accidentally handed the surgeon methylene blue (used by GI and maybe others) instead of trypan blue. The eyes were blinded.